"Live, you can't tell the difference." Have you found this to be true?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by james..., May 22, 2019.

1. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I think my philosophy on gigs has served me well. "Take only what you need to survive." I can live without my industrial strength hair dryer, so therefore I don't need to bring it.

epauley and Tabor like this.
  2. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

3. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Well, since you asked:

Years ago, I got a cheap, used guitar at Guitar Center (don’t ask which, I will not open that can of worms!). I bought it as a project guitar. I intended to swap pickups and all electronics, get it refretted, upgrade the bridge, etc.

I had only upgraded the pots and resistors before I took it to its first gig. My wife was in the audience.

Mind you, she’s not a musician. But she tags along to many of my band’s gigs.

She hadn’t even seen the guitar before. After the gig, she asked: “What guitar is that?”

I thought she was gonna give me grief about my incessant gear purchasing. I replied something along the lines of: “Just a cheapie I got as a backup”.

She replied: “Don’t play that guitar out again. It sounds terrible!”

So, I didn’t.

Wifey knows tone.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    johnh, awallace, songtalk and 3 others like this.
  4. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Dunno about the audience but I can and to me, that's what counts since I'm the one playing. If it sounds off, it puts me off.

johnh and eclecticsynergy like this.
  5. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I couldn't tell the difference in anything until we let our too loud drummer go. Now I can use my effects that were once useless.

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

To an audience, the vocals matter more than my tone. Tone matters to me. It's a balance.

7. Captainruss

Captainruss Member

For me it is more about having the right FX in the FX loop. I tried to get away with not using it because I lazy and didn’t want to do the 4CM, however, the few time-based FX I use sparingly had no impact. So I had to buck up and embrace the loop and 4CM and it has made a difference. I don’t totally rely on FX but when I do they need to serve the song and hit at the right time and if I hit a powerful delay passage and wait for it to ring out while the rest of the band lays back and it just isn't cutting through going in the front of the amp then it kills the song or at lest the moment.

Otherwise, I just want to hear my amp and feel it on my back enough to know when I’m not making major mistakes.

Last saturdays gig the sound guy had my stage volume so low I had no idea if I was playing the right notes or not or if i was bending notes to the right pitch. Really hate that. I was sharing a monitor with the singer too so it’s not like he was helping me out there either because I couldn’t take over that mix .

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  8. Island3r

Island3r Member

I play in a duo. I can hear everything live that I can at home.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  9. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

As an audience member, I only care if the band sounds good and I am entertained. NFG about the gear being used.

10. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

In a live mix I have on my board the pedals I know work best...so I am confident they will do the job. But, it really does not stand out what delay pedal I use or which overdrive gets stomped on. So yeah, once you are in a live mix, I think it matters less than when you are hearing things by themselves.

David Garner likes this.
  11. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

It’s too broad of a statement. Is guitar in FOH or not? Is the guy at the board drunk or doing it for a living? Can the guitarist play? Etc.

I’m certain an audience can tell good from bad. A great amp can be dialed in badly. Some lower priced gear sounds really good.

It’s easier to say “It doesn’t matter so I’ll just go direct from guitar to the board” or “the audience can tell who wound my pickups and if they were left or right handed” than to play well.

Common sense and listening to recordings goes a long way for gear and playing.

12. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Of course I can tell the difference, without a doubt.

If the audience doesn't it's not relevant at all to me, I don't know why people think that is a "good point" it makes no sense whatsoever to me, I'm playing, I feel it, I get inspired or in the zone or whatever you want to call it, and that will make a better show and of course the audience will notice it.

Sam Xavier and Godspeed64 like this.
  13. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

no, i haven’t found that to be the case. while *i’m* playing, or on the other side of the glass, with someone who really knows how to use their ****.
    the audience thing is a deeper discussion that’s a little much to try to type out.

the flip side is that the gear doesn’t really matter than much relative to the philosophy, imho

David Garner likes this.
  14. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

It is a lazy rhetoric that undermines your role as a musician and an entertainer, and insulting to not just the craft but to the audience as well by dumbing them down.

15. Tzirfigu

Tzirfigu Member

If no one can tell, why angus got his wizard amps?

16. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

my music partner and I agreed that we're playing for the one guy or gal in the back corner who can hear it.

DeadLazy and Godspeed64 like this.
  17. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

We're musicians - inspiration matters. Life's too short to use gear that doesn't bring you joy.

18. hugbot

hugbot Member

I used to play in a reggae band and one of the things I really wanted was dub echoes. That big whomp whomp whomp whomp space echo sound.

Some pedals when played at gig volume really sound massive and fill out the soundscape in that trippy way. Some just sound thin and totally drop back into the mix. The old line 6 M series echoes were bad for this.

19. don carney

don carney Silver Supporting Member

Simple is best for live gigs in my experience. I need to sound right to my ear or I get distracted by the thought - why do I not sound right tonight? Simple means easier to dial in for the venue which is the key variable for a gig. Bigger venue means less or no reverb.

Spec and David Garner like this.
  20. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

I think people are kind of missing the implied point....

I don’t think anyone is saying there is zero difference in gear, but simply that subtle differences don’t come through always...

Gorilla amp vs a proper Marshall/Friedman, sure anyone can hear that

Centura vs a real Klon vs an Archer ? Doubt anyone would notice that at a gig, as they sound 99% the same even at home...

Still, guys will obsess over which model to buy, even though I bet in 95% of cases no one could notice any final difference between pedals, as there are far larger gig to variables any night of the week, far more important that the diodes in a pedal