Lively Body!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TwoGeez, May 14, 2006.

1. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I need help! I just put together a custom strat from USA Custom and the body is way too resonant! What can I do to dampen the tone a little bit? Thanks

2. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

Wow, it's not often someone has too much resonance!

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Assuming you're not pulling our legs (I think you probably are! :) ), don't dampen it - sell it to someone who will appreciate it. Dead wood abounds, lively wood deserves a home where it can be appreciated.

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

IMO, guitars with too much resonance DO exist. Try playing an amplified acoustic loudly as an example of uncontrollable resonance. Electrics that resonate at specific frequencies (sympathetic vibrations) and require constant muting to maintain control are a bit of a nuisance, too. Agreed?

The real question here is how to predict and adjust the overall acoustic response. I dunno.

5. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I dunno either. I thought about putting a thicker pickguard on. Do you think that might help? I might also dig a bigger rout underneath for the pups, I heard some people do this to dampen the sound a little bit...

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Is it really too resonant, or just very bright? What does it sound like? I love big resonance. Love hearing and feeling the wood vibrate like a tuning fork. Interesting conundrum.

7. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

It's all over the board. It doesn't have a 'brite' sound or that 'pop' you get from a nice piece of ash. It's sounds kinda muddy, or full of mids. The bottom isn't very tight, you know? Maybe I should lower my action a little?

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Or lower the pickups. Also experiment with different strings (in other words, I always try the cheapest fixes first :eek: ). Good luck. AC

9. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

this guy is just full of it......such a nuisance......there's always a few of these on every board.....

10. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

"muddy" "no pop, not bright", "no tight bottom"...are you sure you looked up the correct definition of "resonant"?

11. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

+1 -------- Never ever heard of that definition of resonant. :rolleyes: