Lo-fi drum machine

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dumbass, Feb 15, 2009.

1. dumbass

dumbass Member

Does anyone know about a good, lo-fi drummachine? I wan't it to sound really old, not crappy, but like a drum synth from the 60's or something like that. I hope you understand what I mean.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I like the Jomox machines for this type of stuff. Have played them a few times now at a store in town, side by side with/to the Elektron. Jomox, hands down, though Elektron isn't even a contender in this fight, biatch! shazam!

3. dumbass

dumbass Member

Oh, I'm sorry i didn't make it clear - I'm thinking of VSTs etc.

4. 6789

6789 Member

5. russ6100

russ6100 Member

Have you tried using any random drum machine to record tracks that you then process with plugins afterward? Lot's of possibilities there.

Or process on input with a digital guitar amp modeler - you can make some unbelievably cool and organic sounding stuff that way.

6. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

That's pretty fun but is it functional? I couldn't get the tempos to change...

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

There are lots of choices out there, actually, and several new ones:

LinPlug RMV is new, has a load of kits, some heavily processed, some not, some sampled, some synth old skool style. Lots of filters and processors on board. I like it because it can do that American old style sound, but is also cool for Euro techno.

Native instruments has a new one. MOTU has a new one. Both do synth and sampled drums. I have RMV but not these new ones yet.

Then there are various sample libraries, Stylus RMX has lots of varieties available, etc. There's so much out there it's kinda crazy.

It's really easy to get that old skool sound if you have an idea of what you're doing around a synth, and you can always add a distortion plug and filters to go even lower fi if you want to.

Easy as pie. Consider buying a controller with pads like the Akai stuff or the M Audio Trigger Finger to create the beats.

8. 6789

6789 Member

You must have played the online demos. I had suggested buying the CD with all the samples and loading them into your own software for programing. I bought the two cds for around $40 a couple years ago. That's a super cheap price to get all those classic old drum machine sounds. The samples are the individual sounds. You can program any pattern or tempo you want with your own software.