1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Load Box with IRs - DIY?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by eriwebnerr, May 20, 2011.

1. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I know its been talked about before - many of us wish there was a reasonably priced device that just did IR's. Even better would be a dummy load box that did IRs and went directly to USB for recording.

There is almost such a device - Two Notes Torpedo VB-101
    http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-vb-101/

It is a load box that allows you to use IRs for recording. Although, there are few problems with this:
    - it isn't clear to me if you can load your own IR's or only theirs
    - the USB out is only for control of the unit and NOT for recording
    - it is a bit high priced - $2,000 US

So here's the point - this got me thinking, couldn't you go out of your amp's power section --> DI --> Weber attenuator / dummy load, BUT run the DI into a GSP1101?

This would allow you to dial in the power amp to taste and record direct USB. Something even better than the above solution for about 1/3 the price.

I'm running my modelers with cab sim OFF, then through the power section of my tube amp, to a DI and using IR's as plugins. I find this gives a much more realistic tone than even the modeler direct with IRs. However, it's a bit of a pain to hook up and more importantly, it is not silent recording as I still need my speaker hooked up to the power amp after the DI. Also this is not a solution I would use live of course as it involves a PC.

So I was wondering a few things:
    1. Has anyone tried anything like this, or think the idea has merit?

2. How do you manipulate the IRs on the screen of the GSP1101? I do like the visual mic and cab on the tornado. I don;t expect that, but you probably have to just go by name of the file?

Thanks!

2. drew7000

drew7000 Member

Even better.

You can connect the GSP1101 in 4CM with your amp. (this would still allow you to use an attenuator). This lets you use its pre & post effects.

As long as you're running the latest custom firmware, you would then send your 1/4 outputs to your cab (with no cab modeling) & send XLR outputs to your mixer (with cab modeling).

Also, you can then send USB to your PC with cab modeling enabled. This is actually how I'm currently recording now.

3. drew7000

drew7000 Member

Alternatively, you could use the setup I described above but choose NOT to enable cabinet modeling on the USB output. This way you can record to your favorite software and then use cabinet IRs in your recording software.

You can manipulate the IRs on the GSP very easily. Just go into the settings of whatever patch you're on, select amp/cab, and then select the IR you want to use.

4. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Good idea - but that way I'm only still getting the preamp in the recording right? I was thinking about getting the power amp in the mix too.

5. drew7000

drew7000 Member

Go ahead and try it using the method we suggested.

I'm sure you'll discover that the poweramp section has very little coloring/effect on the tone. And even still, you can then tweak your preamp to sound like you want it to.

6. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

Keep in mind, the GSP1101 truncates IR's effectively reducing the sampling size and sound quality. You can get better quality IR's within a DAW.

7. drew7000

drew7000 Member

I haven't noticed much of an audible difference between IRs in my DAW and IRs in my GSP1101.
    Someone can argue sample rates, but the overall tone feels & sounds identical.

8. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

On paper it might seem like an issue... in practice it's not nearly as noticable as you'd think it to be. More, Bigger, Better is always good, I'm a spec watcher too. But having owned the GSP1101 and loaded IRs into it and witnessed the results... it's completely non-sucky.

9. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

That's cool. Whatever works for you.

Other people claim to have noticed. I've read complaints and explanations, so I'm passing on the information.

10. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Well I haven't found that to be the case. When I A/B using a DI after the power amp and just running digital pre's direct - bot processed by the same IR's as plugins, I have found it always sounds better with the tube power amp involved.

Also capturing the tone of power amp was kind of the point of the post.