• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Load my 4x12

doctord02

Want to solicit some opinions. I'm getting a new Marshall 4x12 cab and need to load it with some speakers. I have two new in the box Celestion G12H30 Anniversary speakers (16 ohm). I also have four EV SRO (ceramic) speakers, all eight ohm, currently in several cabs but they could be put in this one... *if* I wanted to completely ruin my back. I've got a factory loaded Marshall 4x12 that has V30's in it.

I'm leaning towards a mix; either two G12H30's and something else or two SRO's and something else... (or maybe just the two SRO's and nothing else as a detuned box...)

I play classic rock and am beginning to do some sludge/doom metal. I generally use Marshall or Trainwreck style amps. I like the Scumbacks I have, and could be convinced to get more without too much arm twisting... BUT, I'm not buying four new speakers of anything; at most two of something. Would consider Celestions, WGS, Eminance, Scumbacks, etc...

What do *you* think is my best bang for the buck?

Thanks!

doctord02

Load your own. Just kidding! :AOK
Which Scumbacks do you have? And what does SRO stand for?
I have two high power (65 watt?) 8 ohm 55hz Scumbacks, loaded in individual oversized 1x12 boxes. Love them. But those are staying put where they are...

The EV-SRO is a specific model, dont know that it really stands for anything. They made an alnico version quite a while back, generally recognizable with the "coffee can" magnet cover. The later, '70's version has a ceramic magnet with large black cast cooling fins, and is rated at 200 watts, and weighs 20+ pounds.

I have the later version.

doctord02

Detuned SRO's wired to 16 ohms.
yeah... I'm half way there. might be the thing for some drop tune nastyness.

Keep 'em coming. I want to hear some suggestions that make my head snap around and go 'wow, never crossed my mind... but I like it...'

:AOK

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I love the Scumback H75HP's. I would load up a 4x12 with those in a sec.

Try the H30s on the top and V30s in the bottom.

If you find you need more mids/presence (doubtful, esp with a Marshall style amp) try an all V30 setup.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
I've got some Scumback M75's and absolutely LOVE em! I was a bit wary about getting something with this much hype behind it but found out that the hype is well deserved (as you already know). Get those Scumbacks as you already know the sound quality is great and Jim is an awesome guy to boot!

doctord02

Yeah, plenty of love for Jim's speakers (Scumbacks) and I may just get two more. Was kinda hoping some WGS or Eminence fans would pipe up and offer their suggestions with the economy being what it is...

Critter

Try to find two G12K85's to add to your G12H30's, you can often find an old peavey ms or butcher cab with those in it for a couple bills. They have great low end and the 30's would help even them out.

Critter

I would wire them to 4 ohms because I've tried a switchable marshall cab and you get more low end at 4 ohms.. That being said if it seems too thunderous change it to 16...

doctord02

How do you like the G12H100's? I've got one 16 ohm and one 8 ohm and I could trade/sell the eight for another 16 and pair those up with the G12H30's...

I like the H100's in 1x12 cabs...

TDavis

I have a Splawn 4x12 with Governors & Man-O-Wars in an "X" pattern and I think this combo would work perfect for your needs. This was Scott Splawn's favorite combination for his cabs...don't know if that still "holds" or not. I do know that with all the great speaker manufacturers "out there", you're going to get alot of different ideas tossed at you! Good Luck!

Trending Topics