Loaded pick guard install

flavaham

I got a new loaded pick guard for my strat for xmas. Pickups, pots, switch and jack are all wired on it. Are these pretty simple to install or should I have someone do it? And, can this be done without removing all of the strings?? I'm super excited to get this thing in and take it for a ride. Gonna turn my Lonestar into a Clapton!!

Thanks!

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
Silver Supporting Member
In my experience, it is very simple and you shouldn't need a tech to install it. It likely will require all strings to be removed.

woof*

You can capo at 1st fret, loosen strings and do it......but much easier to restring.

flavaham

I don't think any soldering is required. The input jack is already wired. I think it's just the screws and then good to go.

As for the strings, when I take all of the strings off of my strat, the springs for the trem system go flat and I'm not sure how to set it back up.

flavaham

Also, can anyone point me to a video or write upon how to set up the trem and neck after taking the strings off?

flavaham

New development - I don't see a ground wire. Is it possible that it's grounded some other way??

There should be a wire soldered to the claw:

the other end of of that comes out in the controls cavity & should be connected to chassis ground somewhere, usually to the back of a pot

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure the Jack will fit through the body to the Jack plate route.
Might need to desolder those wires, fish through, then reattach.
It's possible to loosen strings and remove the neck to get full access to remove pickguard,but in this case, the guitar deserves new strings, and if you are asking for tips on basic Trem setup, neck removal is not a prudent undertaking.

jb4674

You can always clip the ground wire and install an insulated quick connect plug to avoid having to solder if you don't know how.

flavaham

Ok, when I took the old piece off there were two ground wires. One anchored to the body on the front, basically under the bridge pickup. The other goes through to the back spring anchor. I clipped them. Do I just solder these two wires to the volume pot (where they were soldered on the old one)?

Thanks again guys!

guitargod0dmw

More info would help immensely.

What, exactly, are you trying to install? Do you have a link to the product? On a Fender Lonestar Strat?

Do you know how to solder?

flavaham

on second thought, take it and pay someone, because you're messin' it up
I don't think I messed it up. I got it done and it sounds great! Maybe I didn't explain it well but I clipped the ground wires at the old pot and soldered them to the new one. I'm pretty sure it's all good. I asked a lot of questions simply because I've never done this and wanted to be prepared before diving in. I thank you for your help!

As for the product, it is one of the pickguards that comes loaded with pickups, pots, switches, etc. It is the same pickups and electronics that are in the signature Clapton strat.

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think I messed it up. I got it done and it sounds great! Maybe I didn't explain it well but I clipped the ground wires at the old pot and soldered them to the new one. I'm pretty sure it's all good. I asked a lot of questions simply because I've never done this and wanted to be prepared before diving in. I thank you for your help!

As for the product, it is one of the pickguards that comes loaded with pickups, pots, switches, etc. It is the same pickups and electronics that are in the signature Clapton strat.
vintage noiseless i would assume.
though i am guessing the midboost is not part of the kit.

Trending Topics