Local article on K-Line guitars

Julio Iguana

Thanks for sharing that article. Don’t own one of his creations but have never heard anything but praise for them.

donostia13

My Truxton has become my favorite guitar to play, which is a big surprise to me. There's something about the way it feels that's right on the money.

Doublea1269

That's awesome! I have his Signature set of pickups in one Strat and the 60s (now called '58) in another. Chris was absolutely fantastic to deal with...great, helpful service, and excellent pickups.

Very nice. I have a guitar being built by Chris now. About half way there. He is a joy to work with.

My experience as well.

I went to Chris with a pretty reasonable idea of what I wanted, and solicited his opinion on where to go with that. His responses were always a combination of useful, clearly backed by IMMENSE knowledge and respectful of what I wanted in my guitar.

Subsequently my K-Line is my main player. I will admit I have swapped the pickups out (not the fault of Chris, just got a bit bored and decided to swap pickups rather than guitars) but I found a set that works amazingly with the guitar and I just can't imagine ever letting it go. The neck is perfect for me, the paint job is awesome, the roasted neck stays put, the stainless frets look brand new after 2 years of heavy play...

IME playing LOTS of bolt on guitars, I am unconvinced that you can make a guitar that would make me go "yeah, ok, this one is clearly better I gotta make a change". There are other great guitars, of course.

He deserves as much business as he wants to take on and more recognition than he gets outside of this place (which to be fair, is a lot, because for all of TGPs fault, people here recognize when a maker has game)

Tommy the Kat

Silver Supporting Member
I can't recommend his medium U shape enough. By far the most comfortable neck I've played on any guitar. I've ordered a second.

Nonvintage

I've got a Springfield in the works. K-Line owners, how long was your timeline for your order from Chris K.?

Last edited:

alembicized

Chris quoted me 20 weeks, but my Truxton was ready sooner by a week or two IIRC.

2A21A546-9926-460D-8359-F29EC00EB011.jpeg

fallingman16

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing the great article. I have a Truxton on order. I was too shy to call Chris and speak on the phone about ordering the guitar. So I did everything through e-mail and he was very polite and quick to respond. After many years of seeing posts here about K-Line guitars, I finally decided to take the plunge.

Can’t wait till my guitar is ready!

Nonvintage

I ordered mine on 5-5-22. When did you order yours?
Thanks for sharing the great article. I have a Truxton on order. I was too shy to call Chris and speak on the phone about ordering the guitar. So I did everything through e-mail and he was very polite and quick to respond. After many years of seeing posts here about K-Line guitars, I finally decided to take the plunge.

donostia13

It's almost a sure thing that you will be very happy with the guitar.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
I've been playing 45+ years. Used to gig all over Chicagoland. Have had my hands on a metric tonne of FCS, boutique, vintage, etc. Teles over the years. Chris's work can hang with any of them ... including builds that cost upwards of $8 - $10 Gs.

@K-Line is an absolute pleasure to work with. He is communicative, courteous, responsive, a great cat just to talk with (which I have done several times for 30-60 minutes at a pop), and actually runs his business like a ... well ... get ready for it .... BUSINESS. He keeps to his lead times and schedules, delivers on time, and doesn't yank chains.

My first K-Line Truxton I ordered was my Black Guard. I asked for lightweight and resonant ash (resonant meaning a guitar that had the right frequencies and overtones unplugged ... in addition to the typically-simple and incorrect test of unplugged volume); off-center seam; one-piece neck with Chris's .900 SSV carve; satin neck finish; very lightly aged NOS appearance; and a very specifically wound bridge pickup that was well-balanced with Chris's Standard T neck pickup.

Chris originally sent me pics of these two body choices:

I chose the latter. The guitar came to me with a hard and uber-thin true nitro finish that is already sinking nicely into the wood. The front and back of the guitar look like this:

Here is the back:

The experience with Chris was so positive, and the Black Guard was such a cool T-style build, that I decided to get another. This time, we went with a roasted ash body, and a neck with beautiful IRW board. Neck pickup is the same as my BG; bridge pickup is Chris's standard '52 T wind. As with the BG, the pickups are nicely balanced.

I asked Chris for a Lake Placid Blue top bound finish. He delivered in spades. And the finish is uncannily cool. It is very chameleon-like. Somehow, Chris managed to tint the finish so when you look at it at different angles or in different lighting, it has the true greenish patina of aged LPB. Not quite sure how he managed that, but when you look at the guitar in most normal lighting, it is straight-up LPB.

The guitar is quite different sounding than my BG. A bit mellower, not quite as raw, but still bang-on Tele. There is a big enough difference in sound that I will go for periods where I play only the LPB T ... and other times where I play only the BG. Different guitars, sounds, and tone - but unquestionably from the same family lineage.

Both guitars weigh an identical 6 pounds 9 ounces. Here is the LPB Truxton:

Here is the IRW fingerboard of the LPB Truxton:

Regardless of price, @K-Line guitars rock the Casbah. But at Chris's price point, they are a ridiculously great value - a total no-brainer.

By the way - I have no ties to Chris. I am not a shill for K-Line. I am simply a satisfied customer that was treated with respect, received two great guitars on time (as promised), and had a great time working with Chris throughout the process.

Just my long-winded $0.02. Thanks for reading.

Nonvintage

This month, I’m trying not to think about it haha. Might be ready just in time for my birthday in October, but of course I’ll be happy if it comes sooner.
Congrats, My Birthday is also in October. Which is a target date for him. After talking to him it may be sooner.

Top Bottom