• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

“Local guitar legend” tells me my R7 is a “Chibson”

fjrabon

In an episode out of “guitar forums in real life”, last night I’m doing this new blues jam gig I recently got us. It’s a decent-ish gig, but I’m guessing chicanery like the following will likely be the norm.

so first off, some of this is my fault for bringing my R7 to a blues jam. I’m not precious about it, I don’t freak out over dings and whatever else, but I should have just brought my Epi Riviera.
So anyway, the owner of the bar comes up to me during our set break. We do a set of our songs, before we do the open jam session part, and he says “look, I know your rule is people bring their own guitars, but this guy is a local legend, I’ll throw in an extra hundred dollars if you let the guy use your guitar tonight and I’ll pay for any damage if he messes it up.” I begrudgingly agree, as much to cement goodwill for making this gig into a regular thing as caring about the extra $100.

So anyway, “local legend” Santiago Montenegro (he was using a stage name, but I changed it for the story anyway) comes up, plays 5-6 blues standards very mediocrely, wearing the standard issue fedora and bowling style silk shirt with grey pants and cowboy boots.

At the end of the night we are having a very awkward conversation about how my band “is coming along nicely” and then says “I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I’m not sure if you know or not, but I figured it’s better hearing from a friend, but your guitar is what they call a Chibson.” He informs me of how all Gibsons say “made in USA carved right into the wood by American hands. Yours just has a cheap stamp. Also it’s too light to be real, probably made of basswood.” Also tells me it “would probably be a good stage guitar if I put some Grovers on it instead of the cheap Chinese stuff.” “Just hope you didn’t get ripped off, and wouldn’t want you to get surprised if you try to sell it and can only get $100 for it.”

I kinda nodded along the whole time. I say “so you’ve got a real one then? Next time you play with us, you should bring it, I’d love to see a real one.” So then… he says… “oh it’s out in my car, didn’t want to bring it in on a night like this, you never know what can happen.” He proceeds to bring it in and show me a honey burst tribute. Says it’s “pure 1958 specs” which is why there is no binding.

fjrabon

Dude should quit spinning yarns and go back to riding his bicycle.

Is it bad that I feel a bit sorry for the guy?
Yeah, I had a range of conflicting emotions. At first I went from a bit annoyed (the initial ask) to irate when he played 6 songs, to a bit amused, to kinda feeling bad for the guy. It was one of those “every time I started to just feel bad, he’d pull another cheesy jerk move” things.

People know Jack ****.

I saw a guy open a guitar case at a jam and proceed to tell all the admiring onlookers that his guitar was a 57 Custom. A real one. And it cost him £2500, which is what a used Custom Shop one would cost at the time, and the shop got mixed up. The guitar was in fact the modern replica, with modern serial number indicating it, with all the documentation in the case. I've no idea why he was telling people that, and no idea why they were lapping it up.

I once traded a R9 to some idiot who then called me while I was driving back home to tell me that I gave him a Chibson and he would find me and 'get me'. It was a shop bought Gibson from a proper, nationwide dealer. It was completely authentic.

People talk crap all the time.

Last edited:

fjrabon

Post some pics of your gtr. Let’s see what you have.

musicman1

Looks good to me. Local legends are somewhat of a joke anyway because what is it exactly that makes them a legend? Guys like Page, Beck, Clapton are legends minus the “local”. The guys just a hack that the owner knows. Yes them to death to keep the good will of the gig but you did the right thing telling him to bring his own gtr next time.

fjrabon

I’d be most pissed about him having his own guitar in the car the whole time.
Yep. When he said that I just about fell on the floor. Didn’t know whether then to cuss him out or bust out laughing. I think I said “yeah, sure, that makes sense, never know what a stranger might do to your guitar on a night like this.” He didn’t get the obvious implication of what I was getting at.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom