Local History FB Groups. Who's On 'Em?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mcknigs, Jan 29, 2015.

1. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

A big chunk of the time I spend on Facebook involves groups that discuss local history. Some are related to schools I attended, some are "I Grew Up In [neighborhood, city, county, region]." Some have the word "history" in the title (e.g., Northern Virginia History). Some are about the local music scene in years past. All of them tend to have a lot "who remembers thus-n-such" posts and pictures from the past. I'm into local history and have lived here all my life, so I enjoy these and participate in the conversations. I'm a member of probably 5 or 6 of these and am aware of others that I don't join because they're redundant. Obviously there's a lot of overlap in subjects between the groups.

I have to assume these are common across the US and probably other countries, no? I'm curious as to how many TGP'ers participate in these.

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Yep, I read a few, participate in 1 or 2. "You know you're from 'insert city here" types of groups. Another I found was one of those local what's-going-on-in-town papers. They posted a ton of their old pics, mostly of night clubs, but also some record signings, things like that.

Pass the Geritol.

3. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

I used to look at a page that people posted pics of my hometown in days past on FB, but the guy running it got off track and couldn't keep his dumbass opinions out of the commentary. Which is probably why he's still stuck there.