Locking tuner and middle position p'up ?'s

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by EataPeach, Jan 11, 2008.

1. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I recently heard a couple things that were new to me and wanted to get a feel for the general thinking of these twp issues...

1. Regarding locking tuners....When using locking tuners,one needs to only put a 1/2 to 1 wrap around the post. This leaves the string tention up high on the tuning post. Is this a bad thing? Does effect anything that a player should worry about?

2. Pertaining to using the middle position on a 2 HB guitar. I was told just the inner coils of the humbuckers engage? Is this true?I was always under the impression it made both HB's engage,in full...

Just curious....

Thanks for your time

2. monstermike

monstermike Member

1. That's the idea.

2. The middle position on most two HB guitars (Les Pauls, 335s, SGs, jazz boxes) is both pickups in humbucking mode. Some more modern guitars fiddle with splits and the like.

3. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Thanks Mike....BTW,your new CD is killer! Got it the other day at Borders.

1. I thought the tension should be low on the tuning post,more stability I thought.So,its the opposite?

2. The guy that told me about the mid position plays a PRS,so I wasnt wrong in general. I thought I was losing it. : )

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the whole point of locking tuners is to have no wraps at all to settle and slip. pull the string tight, lock it, bend the leftover part over, cut it, and tune to pitch. good lockers are staggered so you get the correct angles with 1/2 a wrap or so.

5. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Thanks Walter..Thats what I was thinking.But I had to ask.