Locking Tuner Eating Strings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mullet Kingdom, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I've just hade a sperzel locking tuner bite the ends off of four plain steel strings while I was tuning them up to pitch. It's almost like it knows when I'm getting up to pitch because it always breaks them just before they get in tune--and I even tried a heavier gauge string to see if it would work better and because I ran out of smaller strings. Same results.

I've had the guitar for going on seven years, and now seemingly out of the blue the tuner-in-question is "eating" strings like candy.

Is there anything I can do short of replacing the problem part?

Is this a common thing?

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

You don't see that complain quite often. I, however, have been thru at least 6 sets of sperzels and they all have broken my strings, be it wound or plain.:BITCH

I'm now using Gotoh kluson locking with adjustable height. They'd do the same thing.

It happens when I'm stretching new strings. May be I'm too heavy handed and stretch them too much.:horse :confused:

I'm considering going back to non-locking tuners for my next strat project.

3. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

There really is no need for locking tuners. They only make string changes faster. Think about it; you put the string in the hole, tighten the knob, tune to pitch (which takes at lease a quarter turn of the peg). There are ways to tie the string to a regular tuner that take about the same amount of tightening to bring the string to pitch as the locking tuners.

look at the prs vinage tuners
    http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html

4. oxtone

oxtone Member

My Sperzels don't break the string unless I tune a string way down. Then the kink breaks. I wonder if you're tightening them down too hard? Otherwise, I haven't had a string break since switching to Everly Music B-52 Rockers, made out of Alloy 52, which is 52% Nickel.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Huh? If you use a tremolo they really do help a lot! With the strings wound around the posts of conventional tuners when tension is released and then reapplied(using trem) the string coils hang slightly on the posts from their previous tension spot causing the guitar to go out of tune. The very reason locking tuners(as well as graphite and roller nuts) were invented. As for why they are breaking the strings I'd look for sharp edges or burrs.

6. 85db

85db Member

I had three sets of Sperzels on three different strats:
    • One was breaking strings non-stop.
    • The second one not as often.
    • The third one never.
    I also think the problem is overly sharp edges. Or should I say Sperzel's quality control.

I've been thinking of going with kluson-style locking Gotoh's but somebody above said they also break strings. If that's true, then I wouldn't know what else to get. I'm not going with locking Schallers, been there done that.

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The post has probably developed a burr where the string comes out through the hole - the metal deforms very slightly under pressure over time. Have a look (you may need a strong light and a magnifier), and if you can see anything, round the edge with a fine jeweler's file.

Actually the first thing to try is to turn the post through half a turn (obviously without a string on it!) and use the other side - if there's a burr on one side only that might cure it immediately, then you know what the problem is but you don't have to fix it right away.

8. 85db

85db Member

You're probably right. But since two of my set sets of Sperzels did that I decided they're too much of a trouble.

Luckily, I don't gig but I could only imagine what the string breakage means to those who do.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I was going to suggest what John suggesed .. use the other side ...