Locking tuner slipping?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by soulmap, Feb 8, 2012.

1. soulmap

soulmap Member

I have an '89 Fender Strat Ultra. It came with Sperzel locking tuners. They've worked beautifully for 20+ years. Recently, occasionally, the high E string will slip and drop half a step to a whole step and once it's done this, it will not tune back up to pitch. If I replace the string it will functional correctly for a while, days, weeks, then slip again. Once it slips there is no returning that string to pitch.
    Is it time for a replacement tuner?
    Got a line on where i might get one tuner?Is there any other fix?
    Thanks!

2. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Are you sure it's a Sperzel and not a Schaller? Unscrew the locking thumbscrew. Turn the guitar over & tap the tuning key & the locking pin will fall out. take a small, fine file (or 400 grit paper on a flat surface) & flatten the top of the pin. The high E pin gets dented over time. If this does not help you can just wrap the string like a regular tuner. If you buy another one make sure you get the correct height, they are staggered.

3. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Contact Sperzel. They're know for having really good customer support.

4. soulmap

soulmap Member

thanks for the reply GtrDr. I'll give that a try.

yes, they're Sperzels, graduated height. I've tried Sperzel - haven't heard back

5. soulmap

soulmap Member

hey, I want to update this thread for two reasons
    1) Sperzel does have great customer service.
    2) from Ron Sperzel - "[...] my suggestion is that we send you a new knob and screw because if you read our web site we do not recomend removing knob. The reason being is it deforms the threads and the screw will NOT go all the way up to lock the string .Let us know what finish knob you have and we will send one,try this first. Do not file the end first the pin is raidus on the end and for sure making it flat might pinch and break string."

I received the new parts today - thanks Sperzel!

6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

7. Trey3nett

Trey3nett Member

I would get rid of the locking tuners and put stock American ones on. Then change your bridge to a Super-vee bladerunner. I had the same locking tunners but on a Grosh strat. trust me blade runner=wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better tone and tunning stability