Locking Tuners and Still Wraping Strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AndyFender, Mar 11, 2008.

1. AndyFender

AndyFender Member

My Strat has locking tuners. The past few times when I have taken it to the luthier he has wrap the string aroung the tuners, even though it has locking tuners. I ask him why he does it that way. Now take this into account, he is a Jazz Guitarist. He is 75 and has tons of experience. He lives in the New York area. He answer was as he shook his head "They are always trying to invent something, where is was working perfectly before" He also said, I don't trust the locking tuners, and the guitar will stay in tune better with the strings wrap around the tuner. I agree with him. You can do both and have the best of both worlds.

2. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Old habits die hard maybe? Whatever works...

3. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Ah locking tuners...a waste of money somehow...get good strings, have the nut done well, keep the saddles smooth, stretch the strings...
    It simply works!
    Hehe I like his attitude!
    :)

4. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Uh...not quite. Adding extra friction points isn't the recipe for more stable tuning....

5. teleking36

teleking36 Member

proper break angle for the strings once they pass through the nut. that's the only thing i can think of. besides the string tree for the B and E strings, you need to wrap the strings around the post enough so that it creates enough contact at the nut. if strings are passing freely through the nut without the necessary contact point, your tone and tuning stability would likely suffer.

6. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I got two guitars with locking tuners and I never wrap any extra on the post. I pull the string through with a good bit of tension and tighten down the lock. Make about 3/4 of a turn with the key, grab and pull the string straight up by the bridge up about 3", and push to the side with the thumb in a pinching motion with index finger and continue the process a couple of inches at a time moving toward the nut. I'll fret the string at the first fret as not to put undo pressure on the nut. Repete with all strings. Apply a drop of NUT SAUCE in each nut groove and bring up to pitch with a strobe tuner. Stays in tune, and never slips or pings. IMHO, but then I degress.....

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I have 5 guitars and it just occurred to me :jo that the one that stays in tune the best in the one with locking tuners.
    So I'm retrofitting.
    That luthier sorta sounds like the older pilots I hear saying "That damed GPS is a waste of money". A bit of non-acceptance for new things.

8. bullet69

bullet69 Member

he's seventy freakin five for christ sake ! God bless him but whats that saying about teaching a old dog new tricks. He probably doesnt think that computer fad is going to catch on either.:jo

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Agree with Bullet ... he sticks what what he feels is right ... doesn't really need to change ... why should he ...

However, my guitars with locking turners stay in tune
    a thousand times better then the ones which don't have 'em ...
    There's just no comparison ...

Three on a side or six in a row ... Locking tuners are a dream come true ...

10. mike80

mike80 Member

None of my guitars have locking tuners, and I don't have a problem with them staying in tune. There's no need for locking tuners if the string is wrapped and streched properly, and the tuners themselves aren't slipping.

11. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

There are methods of stringing that either equal locking tuners or come close. If you don't use a vibrato then it likely won't make much of a tuning difference either way. You don't need locking tuners per se. They are just a convenience and they do stay in tune very well.

IMO, if the guitar has locking tuners and he didn't use them that way then he strung that guitar incorrectly. It was designed to use the locking tuners.

12. tonewave

tonewave Member

I got a parker midifly, got locking tuners and whammy bar, just does not go out of tune. I can pull it out of the case after big journeys/long times and its always in tune. almost freaky.
    may be the carbon shell mahogany neck as well.

13. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i think its just a TAD quicker to use locking tuners,pull it through lock it and wind.....by the way i dont have a set just my thought

14. brianf

brianf Member

I love locking tuners for the fact that a restring takes a minute for all of them.

As far as staying in tune, I had an issue with a PRS about 5 years ago. It would not stay in tune. I called PRS customer service and was lucky enough to get John Ingrham on the phone. He said with locking tuners TUNE DOWN TO PITCH. I have done this ever since on any guitar I have had with locking tuners.

brianf

15. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

LOL! Give me a sextant any day. And that jet propulsion fad isn't going to last either.

16. brianf

brianf Member

And the home computer, thats a passing fad for sure.

brianf:rotflmao

17. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

By any chance was your Luthier wearing both a belt and suspenders.

18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Or black socks and sandals?

Locking tuners work great and are bidg time savers as well. For my one traditional guitar I use the string locking wrap method found in the guitar player repair guide. That works almost as well as the new fangled hardware but its SLOW.

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Same with my Nitefly Tele ...

Yo ... it's way more then just a TAD quicker ... Talk about saving time ... ;)

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Tune down to?? Ill have to try that. Locking tuners are great for 2 reasons. You can restring mucho faster and they will stay in tune better because you are not slipping inside of or stretching the multiple winds around the post. 1+