Locking Tuners: Better than standard at holding tune???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clay49, Jul 12, 2019.

1. killer blues

killer blues Member

No. Locking tuners are really designed for guitars with moving bridges. The best thing for a les Paul is a properly crafted nut and some graphite.

H. Mac likes this.
  2. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Tuning stability is much more impacted by the nut and saddles than the tuners. That being said, I have locking tuners on all my guitars because they are more convenient.

wvpv, willyboy and Redrum like this.
  3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

On Trem guitars I think they make a difference in tuning stability - especially the staggered versions since you don't need string trees with those.

On fixed bridge guitars the only benefit is faster string changes which is kind of a big deal IMO.

willyboy, hudpucker and prototype like this.
  4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm in the Choir here... no locking tuners make zero difference in holding tuning.

In my experience - with a decent guitar and its decently set up - most tuning issues are player induced. Stretch your strings until they stop going flat, tune up to pitch, set your intonation (the set up part... ha) and don't press the **** out of your strings. Just enough pressure to get a solid tone from the string.

Also - remember if you're playing 3rd's in your chords, they will be out of tune. Its physics. "Tuning problems" might be a result of you hearing this. You can bend notes within the chord to help that - but chords are going by so fast I don't have time to do that. So I just deal with it. If you're recording, you can certainly tune your guitar for the part...

Also - when playing a gig or recording in a place that is decently cool do not retune your guitar at the beginning of a set. If you need to tune, tune up after run though, end of set or the last recorded part. Leave the tuners alone when you get back! The point is the guitar will settle its tuning with your finger/body temp. Tuning when you go back to the guitar in the cold room, you'll end up with a flat guitar mid-first tune.

They are a little quicker in string changes. But I only change strings on a guitar about every month because I have 7 guitars on rotation. The time saved doesn't matter to me.

wvpv and macatt like this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Member

No tuning issues with non-locking tuners for me. I even have some that are bent from heat of the moment incidents, and they still tune up and hold tune fine.

6. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

IMHO it's a draw as far as tuning is concerned. I prefer locking but its just because it eliminates the locking wrap and makes string changing much faster and more easy. I've got guitars with both types of tuners and they both have rock solid tuning.

7. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

The answer is yes, if you don't know how to restring a guitar properly. I like them for speed and convenience.

8. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

they don't make a difference as long as you restring non-locking tuners properly. And most tuning issues are caused by the nut anyway.

That said, I have locking tuners in all my guitars. They make string changes easier and faster and that alone is worth the price of admission. And they're not very expensive these days. You can buy a good set for $50-70 easily. I spent more than that last night on dinner with the wife.
    IMHO there is no reason NOT to use locking tuners these days, unless you're talking about a vintage or rare instrument you want to keep stock.

9. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

This is a good reason to get locking tuners. :p

I've found no real difference once the string settles. You also don't need to "lock" the string on the post as shown in the video. 2 or 3 wraps on the wound strings, 3 or 4 on the plain, put a good crimp in the string as it comes out of the post, all good.

10. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

This is a good one and works fine. I really like the methods shown here, especially the 'basic' method which I've used for years without issue:

11. prototype

prototype Member

This is my experience as well. With a trem there is some push-pull on the tuning pegs that could potentially impact tuning stability where locking tuners would theoretically help. On most guitars though the weak point in tuning is not the tuners but the wood expanding and contracting which can't really be avoided.

12. macatt

macatt Supporting Member

^THIS^
    Here's a voice of experience.

S Mac

rawkguitarist likes this.
  13. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

Quicker string changes which means more play time. It’s just convenience.

14. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Locking is easier string changes for me. Gotta have it. :aok

FWIW I never have tuning issues with any of my guitars. It’s all in the setup :dude

15. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Locking tuners are just extra trouble for me, and extra parts to mess up.
    Split shafts are just a fast and simpler. On my acoustics I use Elixirs. They sound good for six months even with lots of playing, so string changes are a non-issue.

Any good tuner, used properly, will never have tuning issues.

16. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

Any guitar technology that came to popularity after the year 1968 is the devil's play toy and must be avoided like the plague.

17. darkphader

darkphader Member

I actually prefer vintage tuners where the string goes inside the center hole. However, I have guitars with locking, non-vintage, and vintage, and they all work equally well, even with a tremolo.

18. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I think a properly cut nut with graphite is more effective for tuning stability than changing tuners on anything but the cheapest guitars.

I do prefer my locking tuners for quickness though.

19. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Locking tuners? Not for me!

20. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

Locking tuners are maybe....slightly quicker here at string change than std. tuners.
    Manufacturers still recommend clocking the string hole a certain way and so on at installation.
    I have one guitar with locking tuners and it is fine but they were on it when I purchased it.
    No need here at all to replace on my other guitars.
    https://www.soundpure.com/a/expert-advice/guitars/changing-strings/

Locking tuners add mass to the headstock which generally affects the sound of the guitar.