1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Locking tuners for a Gibson Sg without drilling

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mig60, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Mig60

Mig60 Member

Hello,
    Im looking for locking tuners for a Gibson Sg without drilling. I think sperzels needs to drill.
    Any idea?
    Thanks

2. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

All Parts has vintage spec locking tuners. they drop right in. No reaming required.

3. Mig60

Mig60 Member

4. 6789

6789 Member

http://www.grotro.com/Mainlockingroto.html
    Grover's patented locking tuners have eliminated the obstacles of other locking devices. Since there are no external mechanisms to initiate the locking action, the machine head's appearance is like any other. The entire locking mechanism is self-contained and self actuated.
    Installation instructions:

1. Turn tip of string post until it clicks into place. This aligns string post holes.
    2. Note string hole is off center. Turn knob to rotate post until string hole is positioned away from knob. Thread string up through bottom of hole and pull firmly. See drawing.
    3. Turn to begin tuning. At first, only inner "Locking Cam" is turning, securely locking the string. Once the string is locked, outer post will turn.
    4. Bring string to pitch.

5. rrhea

rrhea Member

Not sure about the Grovers, but I just installed the AllParts tuners (which are Gotohs, by the way) on my R7 Les Paul and they are simply awesome. High quality and they look exactly like the Gibson "tulip" Kulsons that come on your guitar. Once you have them on there most people would be hard pressed to notice you changed them. And they work extremely well.

I'd go for those if I were you.

RR

Edit:
    Didn't notice your last question about locking in the string.

It works like this:

The head of the post has a coin slot in the top for unlocking when changing strings. Loosen the head with a coin or screwdriver, remove old string and then line up the hole in the shaft with the direction of the string coming from the bridge.

Ok, now thread the string through the hole in the shaft as normal and pull it tight (no wraps) and hold it with one hand while turning the tuning key with the other hand to tune up to pitch. At first nothing will seem to be happening because the locking head is threading into the shaft... eventually the head will "catch" and will lock the string automatically... no need to tighten the head. As mentioned above, the slot on top is only for unlocking to remove old strings. The only exception are the B and high-E strings. These might need to be tightened slightly before tuning up to pitch because these strings tend to slip in a locking tuner shaft due to their smaller size.

Sounds more complicated than it is. :) These are the simplest locking tuners I have ever used. They auto-lock! Pretty neat.

6. slegros

slegros Member

7. rrhea

rrhea Member

That is sick! Thanks for the post... I have been looking for replacement tuners on my ES 339 and it looks like TPs now has them.

;)

RR