Locking tuners for Les Paul

bigben55

I just got my 1st Les Paul in over 20 years. It's a 2016 USA Gibson Studio but so far I really like it! It has the Gibson "green key" stock tuners. I remember upgrading my tuners to Grover Rotomatics on one I owned in the 1990s, but these days prefer locking tuners. What are the "ones to get?" I want a drop in, no modifications needed set. Please be as specific as you can be, thanks.

Last edited:

rawkguitarist

I don't really care for locking tuners myself, but I'm a big fan of Gotoh tuners. I think its a real safe bet to go with whatever they off in locking and kluson style. *Ah* it just occurred to me that maybe a Studio doesn't have Kluson styles. That might open up your model choices. I'm pretty sure my McCarty has Gotoh Kulson tuners. They are great.

bigben55

The tuners on it, I think, are Kluson style. Screw at the top and bottom, say Gibson Deluxe.

I dont want to drill. What size peghead holes do Les Paul's have these days?

jhale

Supporting Member
I have the gotoh magnum and the Kluson revolution. I think I like the gotoh a little better for tuning and a little lighter. Both good though

Last edited:

low_fidelity210

Supporting Member
Another +1 to the Kluson Revolution. Replaced the vintage milk bottle grovers on my '75 ES-335. Great tuners, and lighter than the grovers.

bigben55

So, Kluson locking Revolutions. Several of you said these are a direct fit. I'm looking on Reverb for the right set to buy and some have push in bushings, some have bolt bushings. Which do I need? What did my 2016 LP Studio Faded come with? Do I need to change bushings or do the Klusons work with the Gibson bushings? If anyone has the RIGHT part number for the set I need, please post it. Thx!

Last edited:

sbrollins76

Supporting Member
So, Kluson locking Revolutions. Several of you said these are a direct fit. I'm looking on Reverb for the right set to buy and some have push in bushings, some have bolt bushings. Which do I need? What did my 2916 LP Studio Faded come with? Do I need to change bushings or do the Klusons work with the Gibson bushings? If anyone has the RIGHT part number for the set I need, please post it. Thx!
Does your guitar have press-in bushings for the tuners or does it have a threaded insert with hex bolt? Just buy the Klusons that match what's on there now and they should be a direct replacement.

I'm another +1 on the Revolutions, btw. 19:1 ratio makes for smooooooooth tuning.

Ren007

Dropped some closed-back Hipshots on my Standard HP. Excellent, fast, and great quality tuners. Would recommend them to anyone.

Trending Topics