Locking Tuners in CV Strat

chell

Hi,

I've got a CV 60s strat that I love but those vintage tuners: I HATE THEM. I just don't get along with them, re-stringing is a PITA. Now, I know that many people LOVE them and that's cool... I'm just fed up with them.

So I was thinking locking tuners make guitars really simple to re-string... pop the string in, lock and wind. So I've decided to put locking tuners in my CV strat.

Can you guys recommend a particular brand for my particular strat? Would it be a simple re-placement I could do myself or should I let a store do it?

Thanks a lot!

joeybsyc

Gotoh actually makes locking vintage style tuners that would be a direct replacement and prevent you from having to drill any additional holes in your headstock.

monty

Looking at them now, no special tools needed.
The english translation from Japanese in the instructions however could use some help:bonk

Putting them in is a breeze, understanding how they work is something else from the instructions. Maybe it'll make sense once I try to string them up.

I respectfully suggest you spend a bit more time studying how to prepare the string before it is loaded into that Ping vintage safety post tuner. Check the search function for some eye opening solutions to the problems you've been having.

Those Gotoh lockers are not a dead swap out, by the way. You'll find your existing tuners have a smaller OD on the post, while the OD on the bushing is larger than the Gotoh (8 something mm) standard, and therefore to switch to the Gotoh lockers you will need 3/8ths-10mm conversion bushings and an Irwin reamer to take the bores on your CV headstock from 9 something mm to the 10mm bore size. Meaning, it is a non reversible mod.

joeybsyc

Those Gotoh lockers are not a dead swap out, by the way. You'll find your existing tuners have a smaller OD on the post, while the OD on the bushing is larger than the Gotoh (8 something mm) standard, and therefore to switch to the Gotoh lockers you will need 3/8ths-10mm conversion bushings and an Irwin reamer to take the bores on your CV headstock from 9 something mm to the 10mm bore size. Meaning, it is a non reversible mod.

I dunno maybe the CV headstock is different...but I bought a strat with the Gotoh lockers and didn't like them, so i swapped in a set of standard ones.. didn't have to change the bushings. I also re-installed the locking Gotohs on another strat that had already had vintage style non locking ones without changing anything but the tuners themselves. Even the screw holes lined up. Not sure if those were Gotohs or Pings or whatever, but they also went right in the same bushings with no reaming or mods needed, and no slop for either set.

monty

I dunno maybe the CV headstock is different...but I bought a strat with the Gotoh lockers and didn't like them, so i swapped in a set of standard ones.. didn't have to change the bushings. I also re-installed the locking Gotohs on another strat that had already had vintage style non locking ones without changing anything but the tuners themselves. Even the screw holes lined up. Not sure if those were Gotohs or Pings or whatever, but they also went right in the same bushings with no reaming or mods needed, and no slop for either set.
Agreed, just finished changing mine minutes ago and everything was fairly straight forward. Easily reversable.

Trending Topics