1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Locking tuners in Grosh Electrajet Standard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by moredirt, May 21, 2011.

1. moredirt

moredirt Supporting Member

Anyone gone from the stock tuners to locking tuners like those on the Electrajet custom? My understanding from the guys at Grosh is the mounting holes are different diameter for the two types of tuners they use. Anybody done this and can point me to tuners that will work w/out modifying the guitar?

Considering this for string change convenience, tuning stability is good as is.

Thanks,

Brad

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I just modded my Electrajet with Locking Gotoh tuners. I did not have to change the bushings, they just popped right in. My Electrajet now stays in tune as good as my Retro Classic S models do. = Highly Reccomended !!!

I still think Don is making some Great Guitars, But I think he really blew it on not making Locking Tuners standard on the Electrajets. As well I wish he would stop installing the tone robbing "Vol Mod" on his Guitars as well. I have been relieved at least 100 Grosh Guitars from this dreaded procedure over the last 12 years or so.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  3. moredirt

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Moredirt Those look like the exact Tuners I used. They should pop right in. Good Luck!

5. moredirt

Thanks again, I'll report back!

6. moredirt

Finally reporting back. I got a chance to put these in last weekend. The Gotoh locking shafts are narrower than the Gotoh non-locking shafts, so there was more play between the shaft and existing bushing than I was comfortable with. Would probably work just fine, but I'm going to search for a reducing bushing that I can use with the existing headstock holes. Haven't been able to find those yet, so I could end up either enlarging holes in headstock to fit the bushings that came with the locking Gotohs or just bagging the idea altogether. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Brad

7. dgood

dgood Member

What is the Grosh "Vol Mod?" I've never heard of it.

8. moredirt

I haven't looked inside my Grosh but I think 1radicaliron is talking about a volume mod (also called treble bleed mod) intended to retain highs as you roll your volume knob off. Common mod, some people like it, some feel it compromises tone. Lots of info here on TGP on this mod and pros/cons. I've installed it on a strat and I liked it because it seemed to give me a more constant tone through the travel of the knob, but I'll be the first to say I'm lousy at discerning nuances in tone.

Any further ideas on the tuners appreciated!

9. moredirt

Just to report back, I went ahead and used the tuners referenced above in the thread, did not mod guitar to fit the bushings that came with them, just used them with existing bushings. They're not a perfect fit but you wouldn't really know that if you hadn't installed them yourself, tuning stability was for me much better than standard tuners, I would heartily recommend this change. Given 1radicaliron's experience, there may be tuners out there that are an exact fit, but my recollection is I check with Grosh and these are the tuners they use, they do in fact drill different sized headstock holes for standards and customs. Hope that helps!