Locking tunning keys for my Strat ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jesus freak, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

Are there any locking tunning keys that will fit exactly on my '09 AM StD Strat, with out drilling holes for the little peg things. Or if I have to drill are there any that cover the old holes? They also need to be staggered. Schaller or Sperzel?

Thanks for any info!

2. b3john

b3john Member

Sure, the two post (i.e. "fang") six-in-line locking Schallers are a direct retrofit.

[​IMG]

The problem is that the Fender aftermarket versions are allegedly from Ping and aren't the same quality as the similar looking locking Schallers they put on the AmDlx Strats.

I always buy direct pulls from an AmDlx Strat from ReliableFender, etc. on fleabay. YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I much prefer the locking tuners that come standard on the American Deluxe Strats to Sperzels. The knurled locking wheel is thicker and much smoother on the fingers.

4. Jesus freak

What about the Schallers that are not Fender aftermarket? I mean the ones not marker with F, or in fender packaging. Is the only route to find Schallers that came off a Am DLX?

5. Mister Ed

Mister Ed Member

Drilling the little holes to fit the Sperzels is a bit of a pain, but well worth the trouble, imo. If you want to keep your guitar pristine, with no new holes, I guess they're out. To me, the excellent quality and ease of use trumped any potential loss in future resale value. If you do decide to go for the Sperzels, rest assured that they will cover the stock holes completely.

6. telest

telest Member

I had some Grover self locking tuners that I liked a lot. No thumb screw on the back, it used a cam system that self locked as you turned the key/knob. Check the size, if I remember right they were 3/8"/10mm...Gotoh size etc...

7. Jesus freak

8. b3john

b3john Member

The aftermarket Fender locking tuners would work fine, I'm just really nitpicky about this stuff and, once I found out that only the AmDlx lockers were actually made by Schaller, I've gone exclusively to those.

Unfortunately, by the price of the ebay auctions, I'm not the only one who feels that way... :rotflmao

9. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I'm almost positive that the ones I linked above, made by Ping, have a larger gear ratio than the Schallers. the build quality on them is excellent. Stability is definitely no issue.

10. djg714

djg714 Member

I installed the Fender locking ones from Amazon on my Hwy 1 Strat. They work great.
    The only one of my Strats that had tuning issues. They work fine, look good and are only $40 bucks.

11. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

me too....on my HWY1 that is

12. imastratoholic

imastratoholic Supporting Member

I picked up a set from amazon and they drop right in and work great.

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I've got Schaller lockers on my USA G + L and I can assure you they are not from Ping.

These things weigh a TON and you can end up with a neck heavy guitar. 9.5 ounces per set. Way out on the headstock, they can mess up the CG of a guitar pretty bad.

14. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

I like the staggered Sperzels just fine.

Say goodbye to string trees.

15. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

kinda off topic but...

after i set-up my strat right. it stays in tune FANTASTIC with an old style trem and kluson styled tuners ...

and i shake the sh!t outta my trem!

16. John C

John C Supporting Member

Dosen't G&L use the "standard" Schallers? It seems like theirs have the rounded housing instead of the squared-off housing of the Fender/Schallers. By the way among my favorite all-time tuners are the ones Schaller makes for non-trem G&Ls that have the slotted post like a vintage Kluson - best of both worlds for an ASAT or a hard-tail S-style G&L.

Also I thought I read that all the Fender locking tuners with the "F" on the wheel were Pings - even the ones currently on the American Deluxes. I thought that Fender was essentially forced to go with the Pings during that point in time when Schaller was shut down briefly. What I read was the shutdown had something to do with German inheritance law - when the last of the older generation of the family of owners died they had to close down for a while until the estate settled and the next generation took over as the "titled owners".

Of course, you can't always believe everything you read on the web.:eek:

17. Jesus freak

18. yell03

yell03 Member

19. Ceddy46

Ceddy46 Member

These are spirzels that I am using on my strat too they work very well!!
    [​IMG]