Logic 8 benchmarks

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by 52ftbuddha, Jan 3, 2008.

1. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

If you are running Logic 8 can you tell me about you system and the performance you are getting.

thanks

rob

2. guitarcec

guitarcec Supporting Member

I'm running L8 with an Apogee Ensemble, on my MacBook (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM), with a Lacie D2 Quad. Tracking went without a hitch, and I'm into mixing now. 24-30 playback tracks @24-bit, 88.2kHz, 1 monitor mix send, 3 aux sends for different verb/delays, and at least one plugin on each channel - usually 2 or 3. So far I've had no problems. I don't scrub location really fast, I don't add plugins during playback - all the stuff I learned from PTLE sucking so much for processing.

So far, Logic has been awesome for me. Exactly ZERO problems (fingers crossed!). It sounds great, and does everything I want it to. It's exactly the opposite experience I had with PTLE. Course it helps to upgrade AD/DA from the MBox2 to the Apogee...

3. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Thanks that is what I am interested in are you running the stock plug ins or 3rd party. I am sure the convolution verb is more demanding than the others. I have been doing similar to what you describe with PTLE with the cubase freeze function and other work solutions.

rob

4. Judson

Judson Senior Member

Im running Logic 8 on a Macbook Pro 2GHz Intel Core 2, 3 GB RAM with an Apogee Duet. Also recently switching from PTLE with an Mbox2 Pro. I use a mix of stock and 3rd party plug ins, Live, Noatikl, and a few soft synths and find this set-up very taxing on the HD. Before I was recording on a Dell, dont have it anymore cant remember but it was a big dog and handled most of what I could throw at PT but Logic is a little slow. I cannot play back the demo tracks that are included in the big box and I have to limit myself to tracks and plug ins. But overall the sound quality and ease of making music has cleared away most of the head aches that the limiting system produces. It sounds to me that Digidesign, Ableton, and Propellhead all make products that can produce great sounding music but they always sound liek they have a blanket over them, like they NEED to be mastered or there is no worth in showing them to people who know about recorded music. Logic is totally different for me, I feel I can produce a song studio quality, and that is not because of the Apogee, I feel even when constructing a song from loops my sound quality is improved over all.

5. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

the mbox is pretty entry level and believe it or not does not sound as good or work as well as even the digi 02/03. The Jump to an apogee converter with any program will be night and day because the improved digital clock and D to A conversion makes even loops and soft synths and other pre recorded audio sound immensly better.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I've been using Logic 8 on a dual 2GHz G5 tower with Leopard, and here are my suggestions for the fewest problems:

1. Install a Clean System.

Back up your files, then re-install a clean system. Update your system first to the latest versions. I originally installed Leopard over Tiger, and didn't do this. I had a few little glitches, and felt I'd probably have fewer problems with a clean install. To my amazement, not only do I have fewer problems, I also reclaimed 15 Gigs of disk space!

2. Apple has released several updates to the package. Some of these must be installed before others (specifically the Pro Applications Updates 1 and 2 must be installed before the latest Compressor and Soundtrack updates).

The "Software Update" feature on the Mac will download these, but I experienced problems with the Pro Applications updates - the Software Update feature on my computer couldn't load them, but loaded the Compressor and Soundtrack updates anyway. So I did a full reinstall, and downloaded all the updates from the Logic updates Apple website as packages.

As a result, my Logic system is rock-solid, no problems whatsoever.

3. Plugin Authorization Issues.

The LinPlug synths, can't be properly authorized on Logic 8 yet. There is a little program called Rax that you can download to try, and you can authorize your plugins on Rax, from audiofile-engineering.com. I didn't need Rax, so I deleted it from my hard drive after authorizing the plugs and didn't buy it, but it's not a bad little program if you need what it does!

Finally, I think the plugin suite on Logic 8, and the workflow, are great. I have about 30 other plugs that I use with Logic, both soft synths and effects processors, and everything works perfectly. No problems, no crashes.

7. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I'm running it on a Macbook, 2.0 C2D with 1 GB Ram. I'm still learning the program and haven't done a lot of tracking, mostly just loops and soft synths with the plugs included, and haven't even dove into the space designer or delay designer yet. My biggest project so far has about 20 tracks, a couple with several punches. The only issue I have is sometimes when I load a project I'll get a core overload or two on the first playback. But after that it will work fine and I won't get them anymore. I can run the demos fine (again, after a core overload or two), and one of them is about 70 tracks, with a fair amount of plugs with some space designer and lots of other effects. In fact I just loaded the one with 69 tracks to see how it plays back, and after one Core Overload it's fine.

8. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Rockinrob thanks for the response thanks to all in this thread. I think the demos are a great thing to use for benchmark. I know peoples IO will differ but this will give a fair estimation of what to expect. When you playback 69 tracks are these principally audio data or are they a mix of midi and instrument plug ins also. Forgive me for not knowing the demos as I have yet to buy Logic. I take it that Logic has a cpu meter, if it does what does it show when running this file. Also what is the file called.

rob

9. Orren

Orren Member

I may have posted this in other threads, but while I agree that initial overload is irritating, that's normal. The first time you hit play, Logic does double duty of both playing back your song in realtime, and also trying to optimize its threading over all available CPU cores, etc. In other words, at the same time it plays a track, it will try to figure out which CPU core to run it on, which plug-ins to run where, and so on.

So very often, playback and optimization will "bump into" itself, and ends up overloading, even on songs that don't take up lots of CPU themselves. But it remembers the optimizing, so the next time you hit play, it gets more (or all) of it done, etc. So the result is very often, the more cores you have, the more initial overloads. But the flipside is that after the initial overload (or two, etc) Logic's CPU use is really well balanced among your available CPU cores and optimized to be the best in the biz.

Orren

10. guitonit

guitonit Member

Macbook Pro 2.16g with Apogee Ensemble, external FW drive. Only issue I have had is the one time core overload when you first start the program. I find Logic much easier to use than PT, and have been really enjoying it for writing and recording. Haven't done any 3rd party plugins yet, but am looking at Melodyne.

Scott A.

11. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Ok, I have to ask...what's Core Overload.
    I had a situation yesterday when recording a project and saving to my external HD that when ever I would hit the record button, I'd get the pinwheel for almost a minute before the click would come in and I was able to track.
    This didn't occur when I switched my save path/directory back to my local drive.

However, I closed the project, started a new one (mapped back to the HD) and it was fine.

Running an iMac 2.16, 2G RAM, LE8, Rocstor FW HD, Apogee Duet.

Any ideas?

12. Orren

Orren Member

An error message that will pop up on your screen that says "Core Audio Overload." It will stop recording or playback, and you'll have to click "OK" to continue.

Orren

13. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Haven't had that yet.

Thanks.

14. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    The song with 69 tracks is the Shiny Toy Guns "Le Disco". If you don't know it you should youtube it or something to get an idea of what it is. It's mostly audio tracks with 4 or 5 software tracks. But I have a feeling a couple of the the other tracks started as software and were transfered to audio (just a hunch). At first I tried playing the demos from the disc but they'll barely play back at all. I did a quick google and realized you need to load them to your hard drive to get any decent playback. I've loaded this one and the Roots track, but haven't played around with the Roots track at all yet, only played it back a couple times to make sure the computer could handle it.

As far as the CPU meter, it's at the bottom of the arrange window. There's a CPU meter and an HD meter. When I play the track the CPU (which has two little meters- one for each core) goes from barely being on to about 1/3 up, and then on the choruses of the song one of the cores goes up a little less than half way. The hard drive goes from nothing with little spikes to about 40% here and there. I'm running off the standard 5400 RPM internal drive- when I get around to it I'm going to get a faster external. I also have iStat on my Macbook, and that says CPU is anywhere from 15% to 43%. Also don't forget, I only have 1 GB of Ram. BTW- this is on the first playback...

Yeah, I had read about that before I started using it, so when it first happened I wasn't too worried. But that's what prompted me to try out the demos, just to make sure I could handle full sized projects. Also, I only have 1 GB of RAM, will more RAM help with the overloads?

PS- Orren, I was wondering if you've seen the threads about Apple computers and Agere firewire chips, and what your thoughts were on them.

15. Orren

Orren Member

Well, I think the whole system runs better with more RAM, but it may not do too much for this specific issue.

No, sorry, I've never heard of any issues relating to FW chips.

Orren