Logic Express or Logic Pro?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by guitarplayer, Jan 23, 2008.

1. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

I'm confused! :confused:

I'm sure this has been discussed (more than once) in the past but from what I've read on the Apple site and have been told is that the most recent version of Logic Express is actually the same core as Logic Pro.
    From the Apple web site it looks like they repackaged Logic Pro into Logic Studio which includes a host of other stuff (MainStage, Sound Track, besides Pro) BUT to buy JUST Logic Pro without the Suite of other stuff that's now what Logic Express is. Please excuse me if I'm WAY off base about this (I'm in the learning curve with the mac stuff). :) but can someone please shed some light on this? Does Logic Express 8 have the same functionality as JUST Logic Pro 8 or is it a "scaled down" version of the core Logic Pro? Check out the Apple site. It seems to imply it's the same. Thanks!

2. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

I think there is a track limit (something rediculous like 296 tracks).

Also, you don't get a few plug-ins that come with Pro like, Space designer and the fancy delay one.

Might be something else....

I just picked up Express and have found it to have more then enough features. I don't know if I would ever say I "need" to step up. Plenty of plug-ins, tracks, etc...

3. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

start with express, then upgrade to logic if you feel the need.

i just got a mac book pro and started with express

4. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

I'm thinking studio is the way to go, if garage band ever stops doing what I need.

5. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Studio is a hell of a bargain, considering all the extras you get over Express. Very much worth the extra $300, from what I've gathered.

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Studio now costs about what I paid for Express 3 years ago. Express is great, but Pro has a lot more features, some you may use, some not. I think besides the extra effects, there's a spiffier guitar amp sim, and more patching options, and several convenience features that aren't in Express. That is, unless they have really upgraded Express since 7.2 ;) That's what I have.

7. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Depending on your needs, I would highly recommend you save mopney and get Express. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and I love it. Unlike the previous versions, it's the exact same software as Logic Pro, minus some loops and plug-ins (such as Space Designer and Delay designer). However, the included plug ins are good enough for most needs.

Also, I believe Studio/Pro come with Surround sound support, which is not something I'm interested in.

The biggest difference to me was the fact that Express does not include printed documentation (and you can't buy it either). It's all online, in PDF files. The main manual is over 1000 pages, so I wasn;t going to print it myself. I bought the Apple Logic Pro and Express training manual ($35) which is a good reference to have around anyway.

In any case, since you can buy Express for $200 and upgrade to Studio for $300, or buy Studio straight away for $500. The risk is nil.

8. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

Good advice! :BEER I've heard a lot of good things about the latest Logic Express (Version 8). You're right it's almost a no brainer to buy Express and upgrade if you want more later on (for ultimately the same total cost of buying LP). Hard to beat a really good DAW package for

$200! Thanks again! I'll be rocking soon! :RoCkIn

9. Orren

Orren Member

I believe Logic Express 8 is missing Space Designer (the convolution reverb), Guitar Amp Pro (it has Guitar Amp instead), Bass Amp Pro (it has Bass Amp instead), and perhaps Ultrabeat and Sculpture. The core application is the same except that Express does not do surround sound. But that's it, AFAIK.

Orren

10. getbent

getbent Member

get the big dog. the drums are worth it

11. Dan Desy

Ultrabeat is part of Express.

I guess if you need all those extras, then LS is worth it. If you're not sure, or don't need it now, get Logic Express and upgrade if and when you need to, for the exact same price.

12. Dan Desy

Allow me to provide a little more information on the topic.

Im an Express user and I attended an Apple Seminar on Logic studio last night. The differences and my view on them are as follow:

- Loops: you get a lot of loops with Pro/Studio. Hoever, 99% of those loops are the one in the Garage Band Jam Packs. I already have those.

- Delay Designer: This is a super cool plug-in, and I can see myself spending hours playing with it. However, as a musician/recordist, I don't really need it. I'm sure a real recording engineer would go crazy with it.

- Space Designer: Pretty much the same as Delay Designer.

- Mainstage: This is the thing I thought was the coolest - I was pretty much blown away by it.. The ability to pull all the Logic instruments and plug ins into a cool interface, with powerful MIDI control for live usage. However, I don;t see myself gigging with a laptop and a Midi floorboard, ever. So as scool as it is, it's not practical.

Those are the big differences, which make me think I did well by saving the $300. If those capabilities are things you really would use, then by all means, it's worth the extra money and then some!

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I've made some use of Soundtrack Pro, that comes with the package, in adding stuff to client video production demos.

FWIW

14. Dan Desy

True, that's the other piece I forgot to mention. And yeah, if I had a paying job working on soundtracks, I would definitely pony up the extra cost for Logic Studio.

15. proreverb68

proreverb68 Member

Just stepped up to Logic express 8

I know that the studio version has a great rhodes piano on it that seriously sounds like the real thing....no joke.

That isnt on express.

My reason for starting with logic express was financial and practical as far as learning curve goes.....I will learn as I go on express and then when I outgrow it...will spend another 275 for an upgrade.

Win win situation.