Logic - outboard interface advice

axedoc2010

Okay so am looking for an outboard device which lets me control at least some of the functions in logic (rec start/stop, pan, level etc.) with real buttons/faders and also has a built in mic which I can use to quickly record song ideas (vocals/acoustic guitar). The Boss BR-800 looks like a possible candidate but is there anything else out there? Budget - $500 or less. Thank you in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gassyndrome

The logic remote app for iPad will do all that in software, away from your Mac, with the exception of the 'recording quickly' capability. Plus it is free and integrates amazingly.

axedoc2010

Thanks, but really want more of a hardware solution. Looking up the Zoom R24. Looks great so far.

fisticuffs

The Zoom and Boss are standalone recorders, you just need a control surface. Built-in mic I don't know about though. The Mac has one, and it's not much different than the ones in either of those other recorders.

Novation Zero SL,Nektar Panorama P1, Presonus FaderPort, Behringer BCF2000, Korg Nano Kontrol

All shapes and sizes, but quick recording is probably gonna have to be done on something else. A handheld recorder or a smartphone is a popular choice for getting down ideas on the fly. You can bring it into Logic later.

Nelson89

None of the things you mentioned would control logic. You'd have to look for a used tascam fw 1082 or something to get close. Otherwise you may have to stick with something like a presonus faderport and a separate interface like an apogee "one"

axedoc2010

The Zoom and Boss are standalone recorders, you just need a control surface. Built-in mic I don't know about though. The Mac has one, and it's not much different than the ones in either of those other recorders.

Novation Zero SL,Nektar Panorama P1, Presonus FaderPort, Behringer BCF2000, Korg Nano Kontrol

All shapes and sizes, but quick recording is probably gonna have to be done on something else. A handheld recorder or a smartphone is a popular choice for getting down ideas on the fly. You can bring it into Logic later.
Thank you

None of the things you mentioned would control logic. You'd have to look for a used tascam fw 1082 or something to get close. Otherwise you may have to stick with something like a presonus faderport and a separate interface like an apogee "one"

Yes that's what I'm finding out. Apparently the Zoom R16/24 could after much tweaking but the Mavericks update has not come for over a year and they no longer work with logic.

jonathansuhr

The C24 works really well as a control surface and has a talkback mic function, but might be a little out of your price range.

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Presonus fader port that gets the job done. The new behringer xtouch stuff that is coming out looks really nice, too.

You can get midi keyboards that have the basic record/rewind/play buttons on the top and you can assign any function to the keys as well. M-Audio have one, probably plenty of others.