Logic, Pro TOols , or D.P.???????

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by foomoola, Mar 26, 2008.

1. foomoola

foomoola Member

O.K. Pagers ,

Which way do I go .....I just need this for recording in my home for my own projects ....NO plans to expand beyond that ....I am SOOOOOOOO confused ...what are your thoughts / experiences ....Thanks ...D.P. :Spank

2. Cory

Cory Guest

Get Reaper.......www.Reaper.fm.
    It's a killer program and it's almost free!!

3. holyears

holyears Member

You should post this in the "About Recording" forum instead of the emporium - you'll probably get more help there...

4. RKHIII

RKHIII Member

Agree with holyears. But while I'm sitting here typing I'll chime in. There really isn't a right or wrong way to skin this cat and you'll likely get as many different answers as responses. As a Windows user my Pro Tools use goes back to the Digi001 and with each upgrade, Digi just seems to be getting it more and more right. I'm currently using a 002 rack w/ Pro Tools 7.3.1 and I love it (though you need to abide fairly strictly by Digi's recommended hardware when configuring your system). I might add that I briefly had a 002 control surface and hated it...functionally it just didn't make sense to me...but thats a very subjective thing. You can't go wrong with Logic or Digital Performer either though...you'll get acclimated to whatever you buy. Check out the GUI front-ends (screen shots if thats all you have to go by) of all 'em and just see which one makes sense functionally to you. Good luck... --Roy

5. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

1. Reaper. It's got everything, and the price is right. Be sure to read through the Reaper forum as well. Great community.

2. check out the Gearslutz forum
    3. check out the Tape Op Forums

Have fun.

Just for the record I have a PTLE system w/ 7.4, and I run Nuendo and Reaper as well.
    Easiest = Reaper.

6. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

7. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

My Buddy did a stint at The Guitar Institute Of Technology although he's primarily a Bass player. A year ago he went back to the keyboard school and is now tied in with some of the top instructors and they all use Logic Pro at the school and in their personal studios.

8. James Knox

James Knox Member

I switched from DP5 to Logic in my home studio and LOVE it...

9. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    I've worked in all three. Pro Tools will be my pro choice for now, but home studio would be logic hands down. DP, since OSX, has seemed to be in a constant state of broken. All three will crash so backup, backup and did I mention you need to backup your data.

Record to an external drive, keep your system lean and clean and you should be able to operate relatively frustration free. All three programs are deep. You can record on day one in any of them, but knowledge of these programs is an ongoing deal. I've been using these systems since DP was just Performer (15+ years). I still keep finding new functions that were there from the beginning.

If you plan on doing a lot of editing I would consider ProTools or DP first, but if you're looking to make music, Logic. My hesitation on Logic for editing is my own inexperience at it. I jumped in at the tail end of version 7 and just started to get the hang of it the Logic Studio was released. New features new twists and no time to dive into it yet.

Have patience and enjoy your trip into digi audio!

10. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

In my oppinion, Logic express, at $200, has everything you need and then some. And man, does that thing run nicely on my Intel iMac.

What hardeware do you have?

11. vladshap

vladshap Member

Get logic. I've tried both ProTools and DP. If you are on a Mac, logic just works the best, IMO. Also if you are a Student, there is a website you can get the full Logic 8 Studio for $150... pm me if interested. Of course you can't upgrade it to the next big version, but since an upgrade from apple costs around 150 anyway, you would just be able to buy a whole new version form the store again.

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

I've been a long time DP fan but the new version of Logic has even got me thinking about switching.

13. ManCas

ManCas Member

+1 for Logic Pro, it's awesome and not so expensive anymore. Some people say that the learning curve might be a little slow but I haven't experienced it. I'm mainly a PT user because it's kind of the standard, a while ago I experienced a bit with DP but didn't like the GUI, but sure it's cool.

14. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

I would've said Pro Tools until I got my iMac with Leopard, and none of my **** will run on it.

Pick up Logic. $200 entry point is hard to beat.

I'm currently dead in the water until Digi gets Pro Tools LE running with Leopard. I'm looking at giving Ableton a try in the interim.

15. nickyjoe

nickyjoe Member

Been a Logic user for a long time... LP8 is a winner. It's still growing and maturing - I've had to change some of my work flow from LP7. The new interface is pretty cool once I got use to it. Use to do more audio editing in PT LE (remember the world "speaks" PT) I picked up an mbox and LE for $250. for THAT reason. New Logic I use for everything.

16. Maxer

Maxer Member

Logic. I'm still on version 7 but there's so much power under the hood it's ridiculous. Later this year I'll jump to version 8.

I'd also suggest you take a look at Ableton Live. When it began it was a pretty stripped-down app but now it's more of a full-fledged DAW and its developers have been on an aggressive upgrade cycle - this is an app that's constantly improving, and doing so on a veryimpressive timeline.

17. mrsixstring

mrsixstring Member

My vote is for Logic Studio (8). The learning curve is not as steep as it used to be like in v2.0 ->; once you grasp some basics it's actually very easy and if you actually read the manuals while trying to perform tasks in the progression Apple has laid out, you'll be up and running in no time.

Also, there are lots of tutorial videos for sale, on usenet and BT sites - just do a little searching... Viewing a few of those videos may help you decide if you want to tangle with Logic?

BTW, for you old timers, I switched to Logic when Studio Vision Pro went down the tubes!

18. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

I am a working composer and although I like Logic for working with picture, Apple and the Logic Developers never seem to adress some of the core issues that make Logic difficult to use. So every release more features are piled on but some of the nuts and bolts issues are not adressed. A good example of this is when importing a Quicktime movie is the "import movie command" pretty consistently Logic loses the movie and unable to fix this bug the "import movie again" command was developed. Interestingly when you do this Logic seems to have lost its place in the computers heirarchy (the menu that asks you to choose what file to import) does not return you to where you found the movie in the first place. Although you will likely not be using this feature the similar Bug and Workaround programming exists all over the place making it a pretty chaotic program to use. Another example that has me scratching my head is certain types of files when imported only play on the track they were originally imported to. REX2 or Recycle loops do this. Import them on track one and move them to track 3, they still out put through channel one. I have a giant laundry list of things I hate about logic and thingsa I really love, but its only usable for me based on what I use it for (working with music to picture) I also use protools for recording when there's no picture involved and thats what I recommend to you. I think that unless you are a very complex MIDI implementer its the best program out there. IN terms of working with the audio you can trat it very primatively , like working with a 4 track and get very sophisticated with it as well. A used Digi 002 rack will run you about $500 on ebay and you may need to cough up an extra $50 or so for a software update to 7.4. At $650 for recording software and hardware with built in mic pre's and midi and the ability to add 8 more channels of input via adat connection its amazingly powerful and inexpensive. As with any recording setup buy as much computer as you can, as much RAM as you can afford and yes you will need at least one additional drive to run the audio files from for the best performance. Also for my money unless you are a fairly sophisticated PC builder, buy a G5 mac or MAc Pro as you will avoid motherboard compatibility issues and hardware conflict headaches.

19. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

If platform is Mac >Logic. If PC>Sonar

20. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Why, CubEndo, of course!