Logic Question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by GregoryL, Oct 19, 2008.

1. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I'm considering moving from my current Pro Tools set-up to a Logic set-up.

PT requires the use of an external hard drive to hold the PT session files.

Those of you using Logic, do you keep your files on an external drive, or do you use your Mac's internal hard drive? With internal drive sizes getting as large as they are, I'd definitely have sufficient capacity with most internal drives now.

I'd still use an external drive for back-ups, but I'm just curious about this since using the internal drive would make for a much more mobile set-up if using a notebook.

Thanks.

2. retro

retro Member

I prefer to keep my OS and Apps on one drive and all my project files on another drive. On the MacPro I have several internal drives and one is for audio projects.

Although the MBP has a 7200 internal, I use 7200 rpm bus powered drives for projects. They're quite small and I toss 'em in the bag with the notebook and interface.

3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

It works fine, but when you start piling on FX and stuff, the external drive seems to work a teeny bit better for me, but I'm on an old G4 1.67ghz.

4. vladshap

vladshap Member

It's recommended that you do not record to the same HD as your OS is on. But if you just simply want to keep your files on your computer AFTER you are done recording to an external, i don't see how it would be a problem.

5. bigredguy

bigredguy Member

the internal drive is a little slow to run both the OS, Logic and record the files.
    You will find great success, and higher track counts and efx with the external drive.

Seagate, West Dig and maxtor are great, just get a 7200 rpm model!

6. jzilla

jzilla Member

i use one internal drive for the os, apps, etc. and another internal drive for my sessions. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the internal bus is faster than firewire.

7. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Thanks folks for your responses, I appreciate it.

8. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Since I like to fool around with tracks on my train ride, I tend to keep files on the internal drive.

But I have backups on an external firewire drive, and keep another backup on my iMac.