Logidy EPSi queries from a noob...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by The Interceptor, Mar 2, 2015.

1. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I recently bought a Logidy EPSi to see if it could convert my RP360XP into a reasonable backup for my Eleven Rack.

So I tried out the pre-loaded IRs, with the EPSi located after the RP360 and the various RP360 cabs turned off on my favourite Marshall amp patches. The pre-loaded IRs didn't blow me away - they sounded less fizzy, but they were a little muffled sounding for my preferences. I played with the EPSi EQ to brighten things up by the way.

Then I bought the Ownhammer modern mix IRs. I assume I should be using the "mic" wav files rather than the "mix" wav files. Anyway, I tried the Scumback set and they sounded better than the preloaded IRs...but still a long way short of my favourite 11R patches. There is this blanket over the amp sound, plus the patches sound a little boomy.

Am I missing something? Have I used the wrong IRs (mic vs mix)? The next step is to try out all of the IRs in the Modern Mix set, but I feel I'm missing something or doing it wrong somehow.

FYI, I'm using an Alto TS112A powered speaker for my cheap FRFR solution. Works well with my 11R.

2. Lele

Lele Member

You should try the "mix" versions.
    Anyway, now, I'd suggest to download the new free V3 mix libraries from Ownhammer.
    Then try the Raw Vintage mix (or Raw Modern mix if you prefer a slightly tighter sound).
    IMHO they're great and it's all you need...

3. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with the RP360XP. Is the amp model a full model, meaning pre and power amp?

4. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I assume it's full model, but you can't have just the pre amp like you can on the Pod HD.

5. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Thanks for the tips. What's the difference between mix and mic files? I assume you'd want an IR with a mic in it, right? I mean, on my 11R and (when I had a) Pod, the cab sim is really cab + mic.

6. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I believe a mix is a blend of 2 or more mic'd cab IRs. As to my last post I was gonna suggest a power amp sim.

7. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

The Digitech patches might be set in a particular way to work with their less realistic cab models, if you get my drift. Strangely on the Zoom G3, I preferred gain patches when I had both the Zoom's cab on and one of the really bright/clear OH IRs, and some EQ, as opposed to disabling the cab entirely. Maybe the poweramp is tied to the cab. Maybe the RP is similar?

In any case, the IRs didn't make my budget modeler sound like an AxeFX, lol... For kicks, I decided to give the reverbs a go. Holy smokes! The reverbs are AWESOME thru an amp. I am equally happy with the EPSi's spring over my Princeton's. The EPSi is very transparent and sounds great in this application. I'll get another SD card so it's ready to load cabs if I need them, but using a Palmer PDI09 is easier and ok. I also keep the Zoom cab on when using it. *shrug*

For the record, the OH IRs did make the Zoom sound much for recording, but thru the FOH/PA/live setup, it wasn't a game-changer for me. The preamps just don't sound that good. Ironically, having a better reverb and delay post the G3 made a better difference to my ears.

8. cronies

cronies Member

I just got an EPSi to replace the cabs in my zoom ms100bt, and I think it's made a world of difference. With the zoom products and their built in cab sims, I found the mesa 4x12 to be the only cab sim that worked for me, and even then it took a lot of EQ to get it reasonably tolerable. And for some amp models even that cab sim didn't work. So that's what prompted me to look into IRs.

I've thought about the EPSi for a while, but I never pulled the trigger until recently since I never found an IR that I thought was better than the stock zoom cab sims. But then I tried the Ownhammer V3 mix Mesa Boogie 4x12 with Scumback J75s and that was the answer.

Like Lele said, the _Mix file is the one you want to start with. All the other files are variations on a theme. So you can pick another file if you want brighter vs. darker (0-10), perfect mic phase alignment vs. "eyeballed" mic phase alignment (precise/raw), or whether you want the AKG 414 and Telefunken 421 mics included in the mix or not (vintage/modern). Check out the pdf file included with the IR for more info.

I've tried this IR with a bunch of different amp sims: line 6 HD, zoom, s-gear, logic amp designer, amplitube and revalver. I thought it worked great with all of them, whereas before I've always had varying degrees of trouble finding a decent tone with any of them using stock cab sims.

I'm using the EPSi for my bedroom setup which means a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s. So no FRFR for me.

9. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Thanks for all the comments folks, you put me on the right track. What I did was read the Ownhammer PDF more carefully (with your helpful context) and I uploaded all of the "live modern" mixes. One of those did the trick (Celestion Alnico Blue) and I think I have an IR I can work with.

The comparison of a full Digitech high gain patch, complete with Digitech cab/mic sim, compared with the Digitech patch -cab/mic + EPSi IR is very revealing! Previous I might have thought this patch was a passable high gain backup. Now it sounds like a monster. Low volume testing unfortunately, kids are in bed...but it can only get better.

Will RP360XP + EPSi be better than my 11R? Probably not...but it might now be a viable backup.

10. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Perhaps you should try the EPSi with your 11R?

11. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Don't make me go down that rabbit hole...I might never come back!

But yes, that is the next logical step. Also it makes me wonder about Pod HD stuff; previously I struggled trying to make that sound ok with FRFR and had only so-so results, such that I stuck with my 11R. More tweaking would no doubt yield better results with the Pod stuff for me but maybe the EPSi is a short cut.

12. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Absolutely. Many of us think the cabinet modeling in the 11R really holds the unit back. Turing them off and using high quality IRs makes the 11R absolutely stellar. Of course, auditioning all those IRs is a huge time sink...

13. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

So I took Will's advice and tried the EPSi with my 11R. Damn! On my favourite Marshall-ish patches, it provides a new level of clarity. I can basically turn off my post amp EQ and let the EPSi do that as well as the cab sim.

It seems to me that the EPSi would give you a short cut in developing great patches. Instead of having to spend time tweaking things via an EQ block, the right IR just avoids that and you have a great patch much faster.

Unfortunately this process has highlighted that the modest RP360XP is, well, modest at best.

14. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Question about the Epsi... About how many IR's can you store on one SD card?

15. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

I'm not positive but i presume 900. You need to name your IRs to a 3-digit name between 100-999 for it to work, and there's no flexibility in that. It's loaded somewhere around 100 I believe.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's no limit on filling the empty banks. Plus you can very easily switch SD cards with all new files.

Changing between the reverb and IR firmwares is also very quick and painless, btw. Just have a separately loaded SD.