Lol, I kinda of want a Marshall half stack again.

NoBrakes

Not that I'll act on it, that just doesn't work for me these days and I wouldn't play one out. Just remembering how much fun they were, "I could have one in the basement". Reality is I would play it a couple times and think "that was fun" and never touch it again. Got similar gear you would like to have but makes no sense for you to own?

brickthicket

I got rid of my 100w Marshall half-stack years ago. Now I have a 50 watt silverface Bassman on top of a Marshall 1965B cab. Not much different to be honest, but the speakers in the 1965 cab are quite inefficient, so it makes the Bassman's volume easier to handle.

Most of the time I use my 1x12 tweed Champ clone.

skhan007

I've got three Marshall heads and two 4x12's for my basement playing pleasure...and I don't gig. Life is short, get a Marshall stack.

Jason_77

I have five Marshall heads. Three are 100w. There's at least three more Marshalls I want, all off which are 100w. Life is too short for low watt amps!!

Fretsalot

Life is short, get a Marshall stack.
This. Last year, I bought a Rockitt Retro 50w plexi clone with PPIMV and later bought a used Marshall 1960TV, greenback loaded 4x12. LOVE IT and the tonal satisfication of it never has me thinking that because I'm a home player that I shouldn't have the equipment.

Fretsalot/Scott

Last edited:

Monotremata

Life is short, get a Marshall stack.
Seconded!! I havent gigged in a few years but there is just no way I can ever part with my JCM800 half stack, no way no how..
Aside from it now being my recording bass rig, that things just too much fun to crank up and wail on every weekend. Gotta do it at least once a week otherwise it gets jealous of all the attention my Vox gets..

2HBStrat

Agreed! Nothing beats a Marshall through a half stack pushing a lot of air (except maybe a Marshall through a full stack!)....

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I always miss my small logo Mesa 2- channel Dual Rectifier and Mesa 4x12. After the band split there wasn't any "need" for it. I regret my decision every day. So much power. So much fun. So much... badassory.

OP, get that Marshall brother!

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I gig with a 50 watt nmv marshall half stack. For my situation/drummer I could never be heard unmic'd with anything less than say 30-35 watts.

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
Not that I'll act on it, that just doesn't work for me these days and I wouldn't play one out. Just remembering how much fun they were, "I could have one in the basement". Reality is I would play it a couple times and think "that was fun" and never touch it again. Got similar gear you would like to have but makes no sense for you to own?
I feel the exact same way about getting another Marshall. Then I'd think I was being over-indulgent and have to sell it (just like before).

Serenity

I really want another Marshall half-stack. Had a JCM800 10 years ago and really miss it. Now after a Jubilee and/or AFD100.

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Platinum Supporting Member
I only gig with a half stack but the venues are big enough for that. I usually need some in my monitors! Ive started building the Marshall head that Ive always wanted, but was never manufactured. Cant wait.

James BCM

Why? Like running a Chevy 572 big block with a tunnel ram and 2 1050 Dominator carbs on the city street. It's way overkill and will cough until you get to 5,000 rpm. By then, someone has called the cops and you're off to jail. ha.

Smaller amp, open it up, and rock the house. Get the master volume up north of 5 on the dial and your amp is purring nicely. Much more overtones and feel.

LB
BCM

Oldschool59

I was thinking the same thing. Those old Marshall half-stacks were quite nice, although they are one-trick poneys. I now play my Boogie Mark IV, and it kinda covers all my needs... But, sometimes, I lean more and more towards a half-stack... daydreaming of sorts, so to speak. I don't need it, which is not to say that I don't lust after it. TGP material...

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
Simple solution James , reamp it .
A simple $40.00 resistor load and and single SS power amp and you can run that manly amp the way it's suppose to be ran without neutering it and bring the overall volume to your personal taste from TV levels to concert halls and you won't run out of headroom like you do with small iron and tubes.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
just curious, reamping requires a separate set of speakers or monitors, correct?

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
just curious, reamping requires a separate set of speakers or monitors, correct?
No , just an extra amp of some sort to bring the overall volume back to your desired db.
If you run stereo then you will always need two speaker setup types , but not if your running mono .

Amp > load > effects (if needed) > power amp or any clean SS or tube amp .

Most pros use a SS amp for reamping since you are already getting the original amps preamp and power section cooking and that's where the beef and potato's starts.

Trending Topics