Lollar and Wcr

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paintguy, Jul 19, 2006.

1. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Curious if anyone has tried both the Lollar and any of the Wcr humbucker pickups and had any thoughts to share.

Anyone actually have experience with both brands?

Thanks a million,

Larry

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Larry,

I've used Wags' Crossroads/Darkburst combo in a Classic of mine built from 75 yr. old mahogany/50 yr. maple/50 yr. Brazilian RW. Very clear sounding. I like them much. I use Lollars as standard in my guitars. Lollars have a little more coloration - which I really dig! Lay back and they're very articulate, but their dynamics are such that digging in a bit will encourage some compression with a complexity in the harmonic structure that's just what I'm looking for in my instruments.

If someone is looking for something other than Lollars in one of my guitars, I'll steer them toward WCR pickups, because besides their being great pickups, Jim's such a stand up dude. But I really want people to experience the Lollars.:AOK

3. paintguy

Thanks Jack.

I appreciate your experience. I haven't tried any Lollars but I've tried a few Wcr's. As much as I feel they are killer pickups, (definitely very cool and Jim is as cool and accomadating as they get) they seem a little too smooth for me. I really like the way they clean up and the fantastic clarity. I just wish they had a little more edge to them. I have tried the Darkburst, Fillmore, and have a set of Shredders in my Prs.

It's strange, I either like a hot pup like a Duncan Custom or something smooth in the Alnico 2 range. Most Alnico 5 pups don't do it for me.

I was thinking trying Lollars but both Jim and Jason use Alnico 5's. I know I could change the magnet, but I don't want to start experimenting with $300.00 sets of pups.

Thanks again Jack!!!:AOK

Anybody else have any comments of feedback to share.:D

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I just installed a set of Lollar Imperials in my Les Paul and although not having much time to really test them Jack's description seems spot on. They are articulate but the top end is never harsh and the balance between the bridge and neck is perfect in this guitar. They react well to picking dynamics and volume/tone changes.

I'm no expert in pickup construction but I think I read somewhere that Jason degausses the A5 magnets which may bring them a little closer to A2.

5. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

You may find Jim's GoodWood humbucker is the one with the edge. I've got them in my Rossingon SG and thats what it sounds like to me anyway.
    This is in comparison with the DarkBursts in my R8 Custom Authentic.
    All with RS Super Kits. Flat out theres more of everything there but when I back off you get everything the DB's have.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Thanks, Chris. I was going to mention that Jason degausses and can accommodate special requests (A3, for instance). I also feel his sets are just about as well balanced as one will find.

7. WayneM

WayneM Member

Larry,

Jim Wagner sells replacement magnets for his PU's if the alnico 5's are not your thing....check his site. He also has procedures for changing the magnets.

8. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Never played Wagners but it's hard to imagine anything topping the set of Lollar Imperials I installed in my Edwards LP. Highly recommended.

9. paintguy

Thanks guys.

Yeah I emailed Jason Lollar and he mentioned he degausses the alnico 5's and people often comment that they don't sound like alnico 5 magnets.

Also the Goodwood is one pickup I haven't tried and am thinking the Goodwood plus might work real good.

Thanks again.

10. paintguy

Anybody else got any experience with just Lollars?

Thanks!!!

11. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have some lollars in my ES446, and i have a set of fillmores in my McCarty...since they are both totally different guitars, its hard to describe the differences w/ each application....

the lollars are very defined and articulate, as described above. ill probably never take them out of this guitar, as i feel like they are a perfect match for this particular guitar w/ its spruce top. im not a big TS styled pedal fan, but oh man, does this guitar sound great using the lollar bridge w/ a ts...tons of bite and very fat sounding..the neck is pretty much capable of anything...mellow jazz, rippin blues, and all in between...well, maybe not metal =)

the fillmores on the other hand are very badass sounding pickups..i have a very early set, when jim was still putting his initials on them instead of just red and blue lines...these particualr pickups are extremely open sounding, and nail the tone they suggest...sometimes i fell like this McCarty has too much sustain...if thats possible, lol....

all in all, id say you cant go wrong w/ either makers pickups...both outstanding in their field, both have a great ear and idea of what a great pickup should sound like, and they'd get my money any day.

sometimes i think that our problems is: we get a great set of pickups in our guitar, and we like them for a while, then start to wonder what else is out there, hence spending boku bucks on all these different pickups...ive made it a point for myself to carefully pick what imthink would work best, and then not worry later what somehting else would sound like...

12. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Paintguy,
    I don't have any experience with Lollars but I do have alot of experience with WCR's. I've tried Goodwoods, Fillmores, Shredders, and The Iron Man. I just got a Goodwood+ and Crossroads + set for a PRS that I'm going to install tonight. I'll let you know how they sound if you want.

13. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

No experience with the Lollars. Although I hear great things about them. I do have Wagner's Crossroads, and Fillmores though. The guitar wood has a lot to do with the sound of the pups. My LPGT has Fillmores and they are best sounding for me. I've tried the same Fillmores in my friends standard and they sounded different. Not as ballsy and creamy as mine did. I guess the wood plays an important part in that. The Crossroads are as close to PAF as you will find IMO.

14. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Hey Wally, how do the Goodwoods compare to the Iron Man?

I've got a Goodwood Bridge, and was thinking of using it in the neck with something hotter in the bridge. Woudl the Iron man in the bridge be a good match? What are it characteristics compared to the goodwood frequency wise.

I've also heard the Goodwood+ mentioned a few times. Would this be like a Regular Goodwood Bridge in the neck and something Goodwood like but hotter in the Bridge?

15. paintguy

That would be awesome!!!:RoCkIn

16. paintguy

Thanks Pete.

I agree. I decided to change the Duncan Custrom and 59' neck in my custom guitar. I was happy with the set(4 + years now). I thought the Wcr's had way more clarity, smoothness, roll off qualities etc.... I just didn't get enough edge or bite for my liking.

I have now gone though 4-5 changes and feel I'm no closer to what I want than when I started.:confused: I'm thinking trying the Lollars or maybe a Goodwood plus. I'm also thinking why did I ever change the Duncans?:jo
    I really like the Duncan combo, but I wish the Custom was a little less harsh.

Thanks again.

Larry

17. Wally1

Wally1 Member

NuSkooltone-
    The Goodwood bridge and Iron Man Bridge are pretty different. The Iron Man reads 22K:AOK and The Goodwood is about 10K. They are different sounding but each is very cool. I havent spent enough time with the Iron Man to give a very detailed report yet. I can say the Iron Man is very powerfull and clear and still cleans up well. It's brighter than the goodwood but sounds very balanced. I like all of Jims pickups for different applications. Jim told me he put a goodwood bridge in the neck of a V with an Iron Man in the bridge so I'm sure he could tell you how that combo sounds together. The Goodwood + is just a Goodwood with as many winds as he can squeeze on it as he told me.

Paintguy-
    I just played the Goodwood plus/crossroads plus combo for a few hours ealrier today. I really, really dig this combo! I spent some time messing with the heights to get them balanced just right and they sound fantastic! The Goodwood+ is probably my fav. bridge pickup in the right guitar. I prefer it in balanced or brighter sounding guitars. It's really thick for a naturally dark sounding guitar. The Harmonics and overtones of the Goodwood+ are awesome!

18. paintguy

19. paintguy

Thanks echo,

I think I need to try the Lollars too.:D

20. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Larry-
    I've heard the guys at the SD forum talk about switching magnets...maybe you could put somethign warmer in the Custom?
    Greg