lollar blackface

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gec78221, Dec 12, 2005.

1. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

What are your thoughts?

2. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I think they are FANTASTIC!!! As are all the lollar pups I've tried.

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I'm strongly considering one of the Callaham prewired assemblies for a 2004 American Deluxe Strat.

Any idea how similar these might be to the Rio Grande Tallboys? I've had good luck with those in a different Strat, but am curious about the Lollars at the same time.

4. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

I've got Lollar Blackface singles (neck and middle) along with a Lollar Imperial humbucker in the bridge of my Reverend Commando GT. They sound great as a set. The Blackfaces are lowish output and very detailed. Highly recommended.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

What is the difference between the Blackface and the Blondes? I found that difficult to tell from the clips on the ACME site.

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

7. gec78221

This is from a email.
    blondes compared to blackface, a little less body, a little less output, a little less mids and bottom, slightly smoother top end. the blackface will be a little fuller with a little more body, the top will have a tiny bit more bite to it and it will overdrive the amp a little eaiser. Blondes scooped mids 50's tone , still has bottom but it is tight, Mark Knoplfer kind of deal. Tweeds, similar to the blondes but even less mids and bass with noteicably less output, good for tight and bright or for small amps with limited headroom. Specials, more bottom and mids with a slightly rolled off top end than the blackface. smoother bottom that compresses a bit
    more than the blackface
    Jason Lollar

TubeStack likes this.
  8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Cool, that was extremely helpful. Blondes it is.

9. gec78221

Phill here's another option to consider. I asked about degaussing a blackface to the output level of a blonde.

It will still sound fuller and fatter with a treble that is more like the alnico 2- a little softer. Al 5 sounds fatter than al 2 does if they are at the same gauss level in fender type pickups.
    jason

10. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Member

Blondes + Blackface Fender Amp = Heavenly cleans with lots of glass and chime. Use your favorite boost/OD pedal for higher gain stuff. In my experience the Blondes and the Blackface Pups work well with pedals.

LQ

11. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the blondes.

12. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I had a Strat with Blondes and one cool thing about al 2 is it doesn't pull on your strings like al 5 does. It was the only Strat I ever owned that had NO Stratitis at all.

13. Zillie

Zillie Member

blondes are alnico 2, blackfaces and specials are alnico 5, am i right?

14. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Yes, you are right.

15. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

So does that mean the Blondes would be the best bet for my strat if I'm going after the Hank Marvin and Jimmy Wesley type of tone?

16. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

I have Blondes in my blonde thinline strat (girlfriend is a redhead though !)
    I love their crispy, shiny, woody or piano-like vintage tone(s). Love both parallel positions for rhythm or clean solo (add compressor for best effect), middle pup with chorus and surprisingly bridge pup. Neck pup alone is good but I never use it.

I would not say it sounds like a typical Strat but I guess the hollow mahogany body with maple top has its influence on the sound... It almost lacks of low end if it makes sense... This guitar and pickups sound good in all the amps I've tried but it really shines in a Victoria amp tweed style with 15'' loudspeaker. Gosh, with reverb and vibrato it's just tone heaven !

17. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Less gritty than Fralins, more open, more acoustic sounding or piano like (for lack of better description). It's not necesserely better, it's just a matter of taste.

edit : sorry, back to the topic, about Lollar blackface, it's very close to the Blondes, with a bit more low end and punch.