• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Lollar Firebird mini-hums

Jim Soloway

We just completed this this morning. It's a classic Swan with a chambered swamp ash back and maple top with a pair of Lollar Firebird mini-hums.

An interesting note about the Lollar Firebird Mini's: they are by far the most height sensitive pickups I've ever played through. We've used about 5 sets now and it's been true every time. When you have them up high, they get very aggressive and, I think, a bit strident. As you bring them down a bit, they smooth out dramatically bit still maintain that wonderful single coil like clarity.

Here's the clip. It goes from neck to both to bridge and then back to neck. I'm playing through a Headstrong Lil' King and close mic'ing through an SM57.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/I235-1.mp3

And here's a look at the guitar

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
"That was awfully pleasant on my brain" said a co-worker when I just played that clip. I can totally imagine the neck firebird pickup on my Tele through my Princeton with the 12" Celestion Blue comping out behind that riff. gorgeous clip!

markom89

Wow, those pickups (and the guitar, obviously) sounded wicked! I don't know much about HB's, but would you say these sound closer to P90's than regular HB's? They sound quite single-coil like.

Jim Soloway

Wow, those pickups (and the guitar, obviously) sounded wicked! I don't know much about HB's, but would you say these sound closer to P90's than regular HB's? They sound quite single-coil like.
Hi Marco. These pickups really have their own thing. They have the clarity and sparkle of a single coil but they very much have the feel and dynamics of a humbucker. They don't have the extreme responsiveness that I associate with a P90. The high end sparkle is similar, but I think the Lollar is much more refined with none of the jagged edge of the P90 when it's hit hard. One thing is certain: I really like these pickups a lot. They goes very well with our guitars and like every set we've used so far, they records exceptionally well. I've drifted away from boutique pickups over the last couple years because I;ve been so happy with what DiMarzio has been producing for us, but I guess I'll have to make an exception for these.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks. And Jahn, please tell your co-worker that those are about the best words someone can say about my playing.

MrMunky

Gold Supporting Member
So, you're saying, if I spend enough time tweaking the height of these pickups, I don't need to practice to sound good, right?

We just completed this this morning. It's a classic Swan with a chambered swamp ash back and maple top with a pair of Lollar Firebird mini-hums.

An interesting note about the Lollar Firebird Mini's: they are by far the most height sensitive pickups I've ever played through. We've used about 5 sets now and it's been true every time. When you have them up high, they get very aggressive and, I think, a bit strident. As you bring them down a bit, they smooth out dramatically bit still maintain that wonderful single coil like clarity.

Here's the clip. It goes from neck to both to bridge and then back to neck. I'm playing through a Headstrong Lil' King and close mic'ing through an SM57.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/I235-1.mp3

And here's a look at the guitar

abergdahl

Jim another great looking and sounding guitar. The minihums are quite special. Works great with overdrive as well, more than great infact!! As you say the sound a bit like a good single coil, clear snappy, but when you dig in hard with OD it's humbucker side starts to show up. It is perhaps the pickup that is easiest to get ZZ-top like squeals from :dude. And again as i mention is smoother than a P90 which can get a bit to midfocused at times, the Mini hums are really great a CLEAR fevorite as neck pickup along with VIntageVibe blades, the minuhum, again, is able to get almost stratty both with more OOMPH, a more sensitive pickup than Fender SC's.
On my www.soundclick.com/AndersBErgdahl site there is a clip called BIG C that shows another site of the minehums, sort of a bit more distortion than you're clips. My Lollar minhum guitar looks like this:

Jim Soloway

So, you're saying, if I spend enough time tweaking the height of these pickups, I don't need to practice to sound good, right?
Think of it this way. There are 4 height adjustment screws. Apply 2.5 turns to each screw. That's 10 turns total. For each full turn, you get tone in one finger. So after 10 full turns, both hands will sound glorious with absolutely no practice. After all, fingers are where the tone is, right? :)

And Anders, I consider that guitar of yours to be a huge turning point for us. It's just a glorious instrument and more than a little inspirational for me. I'm thrilled to hear what you've been doing with it so far.

amp boy

really nice warm "bloom" happening there on the bass side notes.
sounds like a great match for warm clean jazz.
i like using the word warm.
hahahhaaa....

Trending Topics