Lollar Firebird pickup hums

Stookie

I see the pickups are 4 wire.... I just had a guitar in the shop with a duncan lil '59 that was mis-wired at the factory. The wire codes were all jacked up, I had to figure it out with a VOM, a magnet polarity tester, and some thought process. Could be they screwed that up, or installed two magnets with the same polarity in the coils (see vintage firebird construction; the magnets go through the coils). Test magnet polarity; one should be N, one should be S. At that point if your tech can't figure it out, send back to Lollar.
That's an interesting idea, thank you! I'll try to check the polarity of magnets.

DaveK

I think Lollar answered your question ; a little hum is normal with their Firebird bridge pickup.
Hell, I've had them installed in my bird for four years and had to plug it in to see if it was the case !

Stookie

I think Lollar answered your question ; a little hum is normal with their Firebird bridge pickup.
Hell, I've had them installed in my bird for four years and had to plug it in to see if it was the case !
Did you get the same noise?

skira99

Did you get the same noise?
Gonna chime in real quick because I bought Lollar firebird pickups about 3 weeks ago and also noticed hum in the bridge position, which was a huge contrast to the dead quiet neck pickup. Lollar gave me the same answer about the inductance plate, and while I'm kinda disappointed, I still think the pickup sounds great. From listening to Livingroom gear Demo's videos featuring his Fano PX6, you can tell there's no hum in his bridge pickup, so maybe it's a recent change in the design? Interestingly, the noise diminishes when I turn the guitar away from the amp (whereas the hum in my single coil guitars is quietest when facing directly towards the amp). I came very close to scrapping my wiring when checking whether the problem was my soldering though, so a disclaimer on their website would have gone a long way. Cheers!

Stookie

Gonna chime in real quick because I bought Lollar firebird pickups about 3 weeks ago and also noticed hum in the bridge position, which was a huge contrast to the dead quiet neck pickup. Lollar gave me the same answer about the inductance plate, and while I'm kinda disappointed, I still think the pickup sounds great. From listening to Livingroom gear Demo's videos featuring his Fano PX6, you can tell there's no hum in his bridge pickup, so maybe it's a recent change in the design? Interestingly, the noise diminishes when I turn the guitar away from the amp (whereas the hum in my single coil guitars is quietest when facing directly towards the amp). I came very close to scrapping my wiring when checking whether the problem was my soldering though, so a disclaimer on their website would have gone a long way. Cheers!
So it's kind of the same as my case. And I also watched a lot of videos without any noise in the bridge pickup.
Dang, it's a bummer
I think Lollar should've mention about it on their website if it is a design flaw or feature.

Last edited:

Trending Topics