Lollar High Wind HBers

Bob H.

Anyone play these and able to report on the tone? I'm looking at a neck pickup and like what I've read and heard on line.
Thanks
Bob

Kurt L

I've got a high wind Lollar Imperial in a custom guitar by Chris Forshage. Despite the "high wind" designation, it's not a super high output pickup. I have it in the bridge position with a Fralin oP-90 at the neck.

I think it works well in my guitar (limba with a walnut top) but I have not tried it in any other instruments.

If you are planning to put it in a Les Paul or something similar, I'd be inclined to go with a regular Imperial or a low wind at the neck instead. But that's just my personal taste.

What type of guitar are we talking about? And what kind of sounds are you trying to get?

Bob H.

I've got a high wind Lollar Imperial in a custom guitar by Chris Forshage. Despite the "high wind" designation, it's not a super high output pickup. I have it in the bridge position with a Fralin oP-90 at the neck.

I think it works well in my guitar (limba with a walnut top) but I have not tried it in any other instruments.

If you are planning to put it in a Les Paul or something similar, I'd be inclined to go with a regular Imperial or a low wind at the neck instead. But that's just my personal taste.

What type of guitar are we talking about? And what kind of sounds are you trying to get?
Bob H.Member
I am putting it in the neck slot of a Suhr Tele. I want warm jazz tones and the Suhr SSV has too much of a treble bite for my taste.

Husky

Bob H.Member
I am putting it in the neck slot of a Suhr Tele. I want warm jazz tones and the Suhr SSV has too much of a treble bite for my taste.
Does it have a cover ? If not that is great for smoothing things out. I really like the raw nickel covers

Bob H.

Does it have a cover ? If not that is great for smoothing things out. I really like the raw nickel covers
It does. I looked at your DSV P/U but was told I can't get it with a cover because of the double line of screws (rather than a row of slugs).

Husky

It does. I looked at your DSV P/U but was told I can't get it with a cover because of the double line of screws (rather than a row of slugs).
Correct but the DSV is a SSV with two rows of screws which makes it smoother if you don't have a cover. You might be a candidate for a 250K volume pot or an Alnico 4 magnet.
Is the amp bright ?

Bob H.

Correct but the DSV is a SSV with two rows of screws which makes it smoother if you don't have a cover. You might be a candidate for a 250K volume pot or an Alnico 4 magnet.
Is the amp bright ?
Changing the pot might work too. I use the guitar and amp knobs to really dampen the treble tones. I will say that I ordered this T style guitar in 2007 and love it. You perfected the Tele. But I want a warmer sound.

Kurt L

Totally irrelevant to the thread, just wanted to thank Husky for the time he spends here.

It's great to get advice directly from someone with his experience level. And while I'm sure TGP is a great marketing opportunity, I'll bet we're also a pain in the butt.

Thanks, Mr. Suhr!

Husky

Totally irrelevant to the thread, just wanted to thank Husky for the time he spends here.

It's great to get advice directly from someone with his experience level. And while I'm sure TGP is a great marketing opportunity, I'll bet we're also a pain in the butt.

Thanks, Mr. Suhr!
Thanks, if it were about marketing I'd let someone else do it. I'm just a guitar geek who wants happy customers.

Husky

Changing the pot might work too. I use the guitar and amp knobs to really dampen the treble tones. I will say that I ordered this T style guitar in 2007 and love it. You perfected the Tele. But I want a warmer sound.
Do you have another guitar that gets as warm as you want through the same gear ?
If it has a pickguard maybe you should think about our tele neck pickup. That is definitely jazzy

Kurt L

Thanks, if it were about marketing I'd let someone else do it. I'm just a guitar geek who wants happy customers.
Seems like you have them!

Last summer I stopped at a farmer's market on a Saturday morning, was pretty surprised to see the one-man-band entertainment guy playing a Suhr. That triggered a discussion on how much he liked it, etc... the best advertising you can get is a happy customer!

Geek on, amigo! It seems to be working for you!!!

Bob H.

Do you have another guitar that gets as warm as you want through the same gear ?
If it has a pickguard maybe you should think about our tele neck pickup. That is definitely jazzy
My Benedetto Bambino Deluxe gets that incredible jazz tone. I want to get close to that with my Suhr Tele.

Trending Topics