Lollar Imperials vs. WCR Crossroads in a 335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimfog, Aug 22, 2006.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hey,

Just curious if anyone has tried both these pickups, especially in a semi-hollow, and can compare the differences. They seem to be similiar specs (lower wind, A5 mags, etc).

Particularly interested in impressions on the clarity and highs.

Anybody?

Thanks!

- jim

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, me too.:D

3. FredW

FredW Member

Lollar has low wind Inperials that I hear are great for semi-hollow. I have a set coming in the guitar that Jack Briggs is building me. It will be done in a couple of weeks.

4. Brownie

Brownie Member

I can't help you with the comparison, as I haven't checked out the Crossroads. What I can tell you is that the Imperials I have in a 335 sound great...much better than the Classic 57s that were in it (and they sounded pretty damned good). Great clarity, with big rich tones. Middle position is killer. I have them wired 50's style with independent volume controls.

I don't know what Jim does with his Alnico 5s in the Crossroads, but I know that Jason's Alnico 5s are "graded" in the Imperials, as he states on his website. They are not typical Alnico 5. He works on them.

I play blues and roots-type music for the most part, and the Imperials get the job done for me. Sound great in LPs too:)

5. paintguy

Ordered a set of Imperials also today. A hotter wind bridge and a standard neck. I can't wait. I jumped on the boutique winder "merry go' round" and haven't got been able to get off, or find the right set for me yet.:jo

Man, I hope the Lollars do it.:D

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

I can't speak for the WCR's but this 335 has Lollar "Lo-winds" with Hoveland tonecaps and I think it was a very nice enhancement. The tone, which was already pretty great, improved with a noticable sweetness, increased articulation and a seemingly wider bandwidth. The more I play it, the more impressed I become with it.
    [​IMG]

7. oscar100

oscar100 Member

i have rs guitarworks wiring and wagner darkbursts made out of black limba in my 335

they smoke and give me teh option to split too -

wagner - i just cant get enough --its clarity breadth fullness and punch + legendary wagner mojo

the crossroads ( in my semi hollow thorn) ARE JUST TEH PREFECT NECK PUP...

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Oscar:

What part of the pickup is black limba?

stratzrus

9. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

I have Crossroads in my 335 and it is a big improvement over the 57 classics that came with it. They are killer! Am dying to check out the lollar imperials for a different flavor in one of my other guitars.

10. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Wild guess here.......the covers? lol. if anything else is made of wood it would be one ****** pickup.

11. paintguy

The bobbins I believe.

12. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

I just had a set of Lollar Imperials installed in my '91 ES 335. I think they sound great. It had a pair a SD's in there that were a little sharp for my tastes. These have really warmed up the sound. But you can still cut pretty good on the bridge pu.

Sure have read some good things about the WCR's too. I'm sure either one would suit your needs.

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I figured one or the other, but you never know.

Oscar?

stratzrus

14. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i love my imperials/RS kit in my ES-446

15. straightblues

straightblues Member

I may be the only person in the world that didn't like the WCR Crossroads. They were OK, not bad but I don't think they were anything special. In fact, I liked the Seymour Duncan 59's better.

I really like the Lollars. They have a clear voice unlike any humbucker I have ever head. They can almost sound single coil'ish and also get all of the great humbucker tones. They don't distort as quickly as many of the vintage humbuckers I have used. All in all they are a great sounding pickup with a wide range of tones and worth the investment.

BTW, the guitar I had all of these pickups in is a Hamer Artist, semihollow.

16. Zander

Zander Member

can someone explain the difference between the stock lollar imperials and the Lollar "Lo-winds" ??

17. paintguy

From what I understand, Jason makes 3 winds of the Imperial. All very similar, but basically 3 strengths or outputs. The Standard wind, a High wind( more winds, hotter,more power, and a Low wind which is slightly underwound and weaker than the Standard.

At least that's how I understood it. I was told all 3 are very similar, just a slight tweak in the output and tone. I dig hard rock, so I ordered a High wind bridge and Standard neck pup. Should be here anyday.

Someone correct me if I'm way off on this.

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

I've played a dot reissue with WCR Crossroads - very sweet. That may be the best bed for the CR set, IMHO. If I had a 335 I would be putting Lollar's Low Wind Imperials in it without hesitation. The Crossroads are very clear, but for my tastes the little coloration from Lollars is more than welcome, and the Low Winds are perfect for a semi hollow guitar.

19. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

+1 on the Lollar low-winds. I have a set in my custom First Act Delia and they just sing w/ the wood of the guitar. what a beautiful set of chimey, articulate pups that scream, grind and cry when you turn up the heat! listen to 'em here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWJleoMoA30

20. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I will be putting a mixed WCR set (Crossroads neck/Darkburst bridge) in a Heritage 535 very soon. I will get back to you with the results.