Lollar P90s... should they sound like this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by the_Chris, Jan 10, 2006.

1. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I recently put two Lollar P90s in my R0 Les Paul Special DC. The guitar is pretty quiet, but I'm getting some strange sounds out of it. The bridge is thick and beefy and snarls like a good P90 should, the neck however sounds thin and a bit tinny and the middle position has some of the beefiness of the bridge with a bit of a tinny highend from the neck.

Is this normal? Anybody have any idea what I can do to fix it?

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

I've got a guitar with Lollar P90s and the neck pup is big and deep sounding. Sumpin' aint right.

3. the_Chris

Thanks, that's what I thought.:eek: I hate the messy stock Gibson wiring, so I may just have to tear it out and start from scratch.

Is there a way you can put in a soapbar pickup so that it's out of phase? I'm thinking that may be why it sounds so odd.

4. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Ditto: I've had two sets of Lollar P-90's and both pups ( love the neck! ) sound incredible. I'd contact Jason.

5. the_Chris

Thanks guys for the replies! I contacted Jason and he's taking care of me; he seems like a really great guy (and so is Stephanie).

If the P90 set is anything like the Imperial set I just put in my Hamer Special FM, I'll be floored (it's the best sounding humbucker set I've EVER heard, aside from the original PAFs a good friend of mine has).

6. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Cool, let us know what you think when you're squared away. I dropped a set in my McSoapy last year. Dig em. I've got another set going in a 3 PU thorn and another set going in a Thorn Hollowbody.

-e.

7. the_Chris

Alright, got the pickups in yesterday and I'm floored! I'll be damned if the Lollar P90s aren't the best P90s I've heard to date (and I really liked the stock Gibson ones surprisingly). The Lollars are clearer, more balanced (perfectly balanced actually), fatter, just all the way around superior. :BOUNCE

8. AS193

AS193 Member

I have a set of them in my Epi 56RI, and they really made a difference in the sound of that guitar. I love the tones from it now.

Wait till you turn up the gain nad crank the volume.......:BEER

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I remain very impressed with Jason Lollar's work

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Love Jason's P90s. I've got them in two guitars and they're just oustanding. Chris described them to a T IMO.

11. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I've got them in my R4 and love them.

12. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

I have them in an LP Special clone and they are definitely my favorite P90. This is the first neck PU which is not muddy :) (I ordered it 5% underwound but I believe the regular model does not present that problem either). However, if I had to decide again I would order the bridge PU 5% overwound.