Lollar pickups for my Strat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratman89, Jun 10, 2006.

1. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Hello,
    From all the research I've been doing lately on replacement pickups for my 89' Am Strat, I'm leaning towards Lollar. Any suggestions for which ones would be suitable? I play classic rock ,texas blues and southern rock. I had a Seymour Duncan Jb Jr installed in the bridge position recently. I like the improvement over the stock pickup but if I'm replacing the other stock pickups I want to go all the same brand I think.

Thanks in advance.

2. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

not meaning to hijack your thread, but I'm also really interested in lollars - lollar humbuckers! Any opinions?

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I like the Blondes or blackface sets best. Call him for a chat - he's a sweet guy and KNOWS how to guide you based on your gear and tastes. You may need something hotter. But your amp is a big factor on what you purchase. He winds fantastic pickups - very clear, airy and sweet/chimey sounding. No mudd; just church bells. Good times.

4. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

I absolutely love the Lollar blackface set I have in in my MIJ strat. I have a no load master tone control and with the tone control completely out of the circuit, the tones are very reminiscent to Clapton's Blackie sounds- real sparkly and twangy. Then when I start roll of the treble slightly, it gets into warmer strat territory. It really covers all my bases. Texas blues tones are in there, but they are not touted as being a Texas blues pickups.

5. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

I had the Lollar Imperials in a Les Paul for a while and they were specatacular. But I ultimately wanted a higher output so I sold them.

6. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

The blondes are my all time favorite pups.
    YMMV

7. stratman89

Hmm, the blonde or blackface sound good. What about the Special S, anyone tried these? I think I want a higher output pickup in the bridge.
    Oh yeah, I'm playing through a Dr Z Maz Jr I purchased a month ago.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Specials in a heavier body will sound so piano-like you'll drown in your own drool. A little bit less fantastic in lightweight bodies, however. Probably better to go with Blondes or Blackface set, of which I have no experience. But I've been using Jason's pickups almost exclusively in my guitars for over 2 years now.

9. smilefan

smilefan Member

The Blondes are the most traditional vintage
    sounding. I think they are perfect. The first
    Strat singles to top Fralin Vintage Hots in my
    book.

[​IMG]

10. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

These pickups are wound by Jason Lollar for Micheal DeTemple. These are for real. Haven't swapped these pickups for others and I can't bring myself to doing that because they sound so good. Always getting complimented about the tone. Not my playing though... HA! Sometimes all that matters to me is these days is good tone... My axe is a lighter weight ash 2002 AM Strat.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

http://www.detempleguitars.com/pages/product/sweets/prod_sweets-1.htm

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i have some blonds and blackfaces that i got to test against some van zandts. so far i've only tried the blackfaces, but they are quite beautiful. extremely clear and open sounding, no harsh or thin high end. considerably higher output than the van zandts, and perhaps a little less scooped. i haven't decided which i like better, as they are both exceptional.

i'm actually running this in a blender setup which can yield some interesting tones. take a nice fat neck and dial in a little bridge to cut through, or fatten up a bridge lead with a little neck ... etc. but i am having a little problem with the middle pickup being too quiet compared to the others, which i blame on the blender wiring rather than the pickup. we'll see ..

12. ROKY

ROKY Member

More details on the Specials, please ?

How are the notch postions,,, any quack to be had?
    Doesn't have to be extreme .. but is there any nice out-of-phasiness, there?

Are these P-90 voiced, at all ? If they're aren't, that's, actually, OK, I'm
    just wondering, because, the on-site description sort of implied
    that, to me; although it's mainly my perception.

Anyway, particularly interested in this set for an MIJ Tokai strat I have,
    that does have a, heavier, alder body.

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

I'd assume the Blackfaces are darker than the Blondes, to balance with
    that style of amp ??

14. stratman89

I gotta e-mail back from Jason Lollar and from from the style of music play he recommended the blackface set. I'm putting in my order tomorrow so thanks to all for the helpful feedback.

It's hard to make a decision on pickups with so many great choices out there. Good luck to all those on their quest for better tone than the stock pickups can provide.

15. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/webpage.aspx?webpage_id=1

I liked the tweeds judging strictly on those. Take a look at those comparisons if you haven't, you'll enjoy it. They're all generally similar, but you can tell a difference, i.e. Tweeds are more twangy than the others/

16. Thazy

Thazy Member

I have a set of Specials in one of my Strats and it's become my #1. They sound great if you are looking for one guitar to cover everything from R&B to Hard Rock like my band does. The bridge pu sounds great for those over-the-top overdriven Strat sounds. Got them from Acme and has the blender and the volume cap and that setup gives me a ton of options. If you are looking for that vintage quack from the 2 & 4 positions, it doesn't do that as well as maybe the Blondes would but, I'm OK with that. Lollar makes great pu's and any one of his sets will be an improvement over most pu's.

17. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

I recommend Kinman... freaking amazing PUP's.

18. ROKY

ROKY Member

Thanks for the link; very helpful.. didn't listen to everything, yet, but
    really liked the Blackfaces and the Specials,so far-- of the 2 types I
    listened to,,more, in-depth.

19. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I have a set of Lollar P-90's in my SG and I have hardly played any of my other guitars since I put them in. Full, robust, well rounded beefy tones. Incredible pickups.
    I have been thinking about a Blackface set over a Fralin Blues specials set for my Strat. I think it's time to just go ahead do it after all I have read. :BEER

20. lv

lv Supporting Member

How do they compare to the Fralins? I have lots of experience with Fralin, but very little with Lollar.