Lollar Strat Blackface Middle pup with Tweed or Blonde neck pup?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesrules, Apr 28, 2008.

1. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I have a set of Blackface Lollar's, I simply love all positions but the Middle-neck sound isn't quite there. Not getting enough "chime". The neck and middle sound great by themself but not together. Where as the bridge and middle in the 2 position is very useful and chimey.

After hours of a pickup elimination test, I decided to replace the neck pup (tough choice). I'm thinking the lower output Alnico II's (Blonde and Tweed) are going to help get a cleaner sound.

Anybody have any first hand experience with this set-up? Like I said I love all the other tones but I want to make a excellent set a perfect set!

Yes I did the ACME.com sound thing but it doesn't mis-match like that. Still cool though!

EDIT: After further review the Blackface neck sounds good. Check post #10 below for details

2. minjason

minjason Member

lollar blondes = chime and sparkle. i swear by them.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Well, I love the Blondes and have a complete set in one of my strats. But, sometimes with od I was finding the neck a little fat and muddy. So I put a Tweed in the neck and Blondes in the other two in a different strat and I love the result. I still like my all-Blonde strat, but having a lower output neck really cleans up the neck and makes the in-between tones awesome as well.
    I would think a Blackface bridge with Blonde middle and neck would be a killer set. That is fairly close to what Nash uses in his strats I believe.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

that was my experience with the BF set as well...the neck was too fat for me and the in-betweens were pretty low in volumn and didn't cut through a mix...

I tried all the sets and like CBP also ended up with the tweed neck and blondes for the middle/bridge...

before you pop in a new pup you might try taking the tone cap. off the middle position and leave it unloaded...it brightens up the middle pup which helps to articulate the in-betweens...that's what I did and it helped immensley...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Go for the Blondes!

6. hardys

hardys Member

I had a Strat with all blondes, but the neck pup on that particulat guitar was just a hair too muddy in the lower mids for me. I replaced it with a tweed and it clean up to where I wanted it to be. The tweed didn't really have any more chime, just less lows.

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Lowe output= more chime/quack in the mids. Tweeds are very quacky, blondes do the trick for me!

8. sinner

sinner Member

How do the above results differ with using:

1. Fender Blackface amps
    2. Fender vintage Tweed amps
    3. Marshall JTM 45 amp

going clean to mean + pedals

Would you say the Lollar Blackface in neck and Lollar Blondes in middle & bridge are still good choice for Alder Strat w/Rosewood board for both clean, chimey AND OD use?

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

the bf neck was too woofy for my tastes and the in-betweens too soft and basically useless for my needs...and that was going into an early 70's primo sounding SF deluxe...I didn't cut through the mix that night and had sore hands the next day:mad:...as soon as I woke up they came out and went on ebay...ymmv!

I started experimenting with the tweed and blonde sets next...the blonde neck pup was a lot better but still too muddy for my needs...the tweed neck pup is perfect as are the tweed and blonde middle and bridge pups...its a matter of taste and the amp you're using as to what will suit your needs...

I was playing my strat last night and love how touch responsive the pups are...nice and smooth and round when picking softly and they can get a bit nasty in the trebles when you dig in...the tweeds and blondes are definitly glassy sounding pups which I like a lot in a strat...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Well I had the Lollar Blackface pups in for over a week now and I got to say that the neck-middle position is more useful than I thought. Yes there still seems to be a small volume drop and they are not has quacky as my other strats with the following pickups (Van Zandt Pure Vintage, stock '97 USA Fenders). As I said before the neck-bridge still has the chime though.

But what the Blackface #4 postion lacks in one area more than makes up for it in another. The pickups ARE smokey and have a more controlled sound that is perfect for laid back rhythm tones with GREAT note seperation without being over-bearing or spikey, as my other guitars. Lead lines also sound full and smokey. They still have a nice growl that projects, it's just different. Thats the part that I was worried about when I started this thread but why have pickups that all sound close to the same. Change is good after all, it just caught me off guard.

Someday I will be trying the Lollar Blonde set in a partscaster I'm building but I think the Blackface pups found a good home in my Ash/Rosewood Strat!

My hat's off to you Jason Lollar, you make a damn fine pup!!! Can't wait to try your others.

11. Kelly

Kelly Member

Disconnect the tone pot from the middle PuP.

12. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

Still like them?

13. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I have a Blackface set in my '89 Strat..............match made in heaven!