• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Lollars & other pickup questions

I just put a set of Lollar Vintage Blonde pups in my 2012 American Deluxe Strat, ash body. Overall they are a huge improvement over the previous pups. When I bought the guitar it had the stock Fender noiseless in the neck and middle, and a Seymour Duncan JB Jr. mini-humbucker in the bridge. I don't miss the Fender noiseless at all. But I kind of miss the mini-humbucker.

The Lollars give a great clarity to pick attack. And the glassy chime in the #4 (neck & middle) and #2 (bridge & middle) positions is absolutely beautiful. They handle my overdrive pedals - Wampler Euphoria and Catalinbread DLS - nicely, though I had to seriously tweak the settings on them to adjust for the vintage single coil tones.

However, I'm not entirely sold on the bridge pickup. This is my first foray into changing pickups and my first go at purely single coils other than the Fender N3's, but as seems to be the case with other single coils I've read about, the bridge pickup is very thin, almost shrill sounding. I can make up for that to some extent by rolling off the tone control on the guitar, which eliminates the shrillness but still leaves it sounding too thin for my taste. I've had the Lollars in for less than a week and I keep telling myself they'll grow on me. But...

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a bridge single coil that would play nicely with the Lollar Vintage Blondes, but that would have more beef and less shrillness, and would also give me at least some of that nice position 2 chimeyness.

Or should I just go back to the Seymour Duncan JB Jr. in the bridge?

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
Try in the bridge the dirty blonde pup, I forgot which one it is, but a must..IMO. Killer set of pups.

From Lollar's website it looks like the Dirty Blonde set is simply a Vintage Blonde set with a Special S Series in the bridge. Hmm, something to think about.

BADHAK

I have a custom made Tele with Lollar vintage T's. Great pickups. ..clear,articulate .....but yes,the bridge can get pretty shrill.
One day (the Tele is not my no.1 atm)i might replace the bridge pickup with something hotter,but i reckon through a loud vintage Fender it would sound divine (i play Marshall 2203's )

Moot

+1 on the Lollar Special bridge.

I'm sure you've tried this, but have fooled around with the bridge pickup's hight? Closer to the strings = more bass (but more highs, too. You'd probably need your Tone knob still.)

cardinal

I have a guitar with the Dirty Blonde set, and the Special S in the bridge is pretty nice. Like Moot says, I keep it pretty close to the strings and do roll off the tone knob a touch.

To get more saturation and thump out of the pickup (to push it more towards humbucker territory), I just step on a clean boost pedal to goose the output (I use a CAE boost/line driver). But of course as you start piling on the gain, noise becomes a concern.

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
+1 just switched from the Dirty Blackface to the Dirty Blondes and the Special bridge is the way to go. Rolling down the tone to 5-6 range is fat and punchy , rolling up to 10 gives it all the bite you could ever need WITHOUT being harsh..

Thanks for the replies so far! I'm seriously considering the Lollar Special S for the bridge.

Does anyone know anything about Righteous Sound Pickups?

So I replaced the Lollar Vintage Blonde bridge pickup with a High Road by Righteous Sound, and I couldn't be happier! It's a high output pup with bight and clarity without the shrill thinness of the Lollar. Don't get me wrong - I think Lollar's are outstanding and I still love his middle and neck. But I'm blown away with the High Road in the bridge. And Joshua Spataro, the owner of Righteous Sound, was great to work with; he seems like a real fine fellow.