Lollartron VS El Rayo VS Dimarzio EJ Custom

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kingdavidy2k, May 13, 2015.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Which one of these pickups would get me closest to Tele sound on my LP?
    I've decided I couldn't bond with my Humbuckers. I've got Voodoo '59 Set at the moment. I guess I'm more of a single coil type of guy.

If anyone has any first hand experience with at least 2 of the sets, I'd love to hear what your thoughts are.

2. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Lollartrons are filtertrons which are a type of humbucker pup.
    You won't get an LP to sound like a Tele imo.
    If you don't like LP tones trade it for a Tele

4. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I like the tone of Tele but don't like how the Tele body shape hangs on my body. I have to wear my Tele quite low otherwise my shoulder and left arm would get sore with tingling feeling on my fingers after 10 minutes of playing.

LP's body shape however fits snug to my body. Though it feels like 1.5x times the weight of my Tele, I can play an hour without any problems.

This is the main reason why Im in the quest to make my LP sound more like a Tele. I know it won't sound exactly like a Tele, but wanting to know what can get me the closest.

5. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Quick thought: If you've never tried it, you should give a shot to wiring the coils of your humbuckers in parallel instead of the normal series wiring. It still bucks hum, but gives you a more open, chimey sound like a single coil.

6. presence

presence Member

I don't have experience with 2 of the sets, but I do have experience with El Rayo.

Popped a set in my PRS Custom 22 w/ stop tailpiece.

Right after I got them, I was talking to my brother on the phone while playing clean through a Princeton. He asked if it was my tele. He was shocked when I told him it was the PRS.

Love these pickups. But they do more than just tele, they do BIG and they sound fantastic clean. (They probably sound great dirty too, but I don't play dirty much.)

I hear what you're saying about humbuckers. There's a youtube video of a guy with them in his Bigsby-equpped Les Paul. Sounds great.

I think you'll really like El Rayo. If you don't, Lollar will give you something else.

7. xcycle

xcycle Member

I dont have a Tele to compare but in my quest to get a more single coil sound out of my neck pickup in my LP Standard i went with a Seth Lover(not bright enough but moved to bridge and it is perfect) and then a fralin twangemaster at about 7.5 ohm. About right for me now. I think low output is generally the key for LP guitars. Very single coil sounding now. I also highly suggest you go with the 50's style wiring scheme. It ws the last piece of the puzzle
    Eric

8. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Lollar P-90!! I have a Precision/home built Mahogany JR.
    And it can sound quite Tele'ish with the vol. and tone rolled off a touch.
    If you have a regular LP with Maple cap it might sound brighter even more like a Tele!!