LollarTrons vs TV Jones Classics

Twangcat

I really like the playability of my Reverend Charger but I want more snap and twang than I'm getting from the stock humbuckers so I'm considering changing out the buckers for a set of FilterTron type pickups. I have no real world experience with either of the brands I mentioned in the subject line and would be grateful for any thoughts or opinions comparing them. The TVJs would be a little less expensive, which is a consideration, but not so much that the cost kills the Lollars.

Waxhead

Well TV Jones Classics are imo the best PUP money can buy.
I've played the lollartrons in an LP & while they're good they're kind of half way between a Gibson style HB and TVJ or Gretsch filtertrons imo.
Not as much twang & snap, not as articulate, nor as versatile.

So depends what you're aiming for.
The Lollartrons don't turn my krank compared to TVJ or Gretsch filtertrons but I'm sure lots of people would luv them and they'd probly be an improvement over what's in your guitar now.

denitronik

I just put TV Jones Classic pups in my Gretsch Duo Jet and I just love them. They sound terrific ,very "Gretschy" in a vintage way.
They are very dynamic and articulate, they follow your picking: play soft and they sound full and twangy, play hard and they start to growl.

StealthHunter

I'm thinking of converting one of my strats to a dual filtertron setup. Is there a tone difference between the full humbucker-sized and traditional sized? I can't locate a pickguard for the traditional size.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
Before you go with the TV's--and I wouldn't blame you one teenie bit--take a look at Brian Porter's 'trons.
While I haven't played them, I have other Porter pickups in a few of my guitars and have dealt with him personally.
He is a first class maker and if he is doing 'trons (he is) they deserve consideration.

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies. I'm going with the TVJs.
I'd also recommend redoing the harness with the "greasebucket" tone circuit, which rolls off bass as well as treble through the first 2/3 of the tone pot's range. It really works well with the Filtertron- I have it loaded into a single-TVJ (Classic+) Cabronita-style*, it puts out almost a "wah" type mid sweep before getting dark. Here's a full explanation with diagram:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/12311-mod-garage-the-fender-greasebucket-tone-circuit

*It also comes stock in the Fender custom shop Cabros, along with TVJ pickups.

Last edited:

s2y

I have Lollartrons with a Stellartone. It's the main electric I grab. Lollartrons tend to have more low end than the competition and the highs are a little more tame.

jetydosa

I have Lollartrons in a DGT and it sounds incredible. Very clear, articulate, twangy. They do the Malcom Young thing to a T, and everyone thats heard it loves it.

That said, I have no experience with the TVJ.

Fran6

You may also want to consider the new TV Jones Brian Setzer Signature PUs. Have these in a Gretsch Duo-Jet and White Falcon. I think they are actually a step above the TVJ Classics. I didn't think it would be possible to find a better PU than the Classics!

JonnyQ

I have both.

Disagree with the person who said Lollartrons are not as articulate as TV Jones. Not my experience. .

In my guitars and with my rig, Lollatrons have more low end and TV Jones have more "sparkle". Both are twangy. If you play rockabilly you may prefer the TV Jones. If you play other styles you may prefer the Lollartrons. But both are quality Pups.