Lollers vs Fralin P-90s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Angry Old Man, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Got to be Blues approved.
    Think early Freedie King, Guitar Slim, Hubert Sumlin, etc.

I has bought 3 sets of Fralins in 03', but one set I gave away, and traded the other two with in a month for a 55' ES-295. So I never got to really play around with them. I did get to talk to Lindy for 15mins or so, and thats worth something.

Anyone care to weight in with their opinions or thoughts?

thanks
    AOM

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Wolfetone and Duncan Antiquites.

3. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

wait hold up - you traded 2 sets of pickups for a 1955 ES-295?

btw - both are awesome (i have both in different guitars), I believe the Fralin P90's are Alinco IV while the Lollars are either Alinco V or II (depending on the model you order). Not sure how loud you play but the Fralin's feedback less at high stage volume (I gig with both guitars and have to turn down my gain when using my Les Paul with Lollars).

4. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

No :)

Two Guitars I had Fralins installed in

5. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

6. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

ahh, ok - that makes a bit more sense

7. Patrick2

Patrick2 Member

You really can't go wrong with either. Both are damn near noiseless and killer tone from both.

8. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Jim Wagner of WCR wound me a set of his P-90s this past weekend, I visited him and he was kind enough to pop them in, along with new pots and caps.
    I now have a custom tele 2 that Rocks. There hot but play clean very well. Not much noise either. There wound 8.4k and 10k.
    Hell he's got one bridge you can buy wound to 22k and It sounded real good to my surprise.

9. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

:rotflmao

My (little) experience with P90s is that Gibson is side by side with all the boutique builders - unlike (again, IMO) humbuckers. You can't go wrong with any , but you should check out the Gibsons.

10. Dave1

Dave1 Member

I have gibsons and lollars and prefer the lollars. I think they have more bite and are closer to vintage sound. I know because I also have a 59 junior. Gibsons are smoother and are also very good. In the add one more to the mix, I also really like the harmonic design z90s.

11. Findthetone

Findthetone Member

I just put Fralins in my Trad Pro P90 and I'm still on the fence. The bridge is stock wind and the neck is -15%. They are really nice but don't seem to have the attitude I want. I'm using 500K pots with .047 caps. I'm going to try .022 and see if that helps.

12. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Are those the noiseless P90s? If so try adjusting the pups so they are really close to the strings. This might require putting put something under each pickup like a piece of a mousepad so you can adjust them really close to the strings.

13. man_mars

man_mars Member

I've got the Lollar 50's wind. It lacks a bit of bass imo and the mids are a bit tame. The description on Lollar's website describes the tone pretty accurately actually. Lollar says that's it's the one for the Freddie King sound, so there ya go. It's open sounding and bright but Personally I feel it lacks a bit of character tonewise. I would like to try his standard wind though.

14. Findthetone

Findthetone Member

No, they are the "noise included" set. I wouldn't mind trying his noiseless set though.

15. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I used to have the Lollar P-90's (5% under wound neck) and for blues I'd totally recommend them.

I've also heard a few blues guys around here using Seymour Duncan P-90s and those are actually really good as well.

16. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Call Jim Wagner.......He'll set you up with GOOD HOT P-90s, custom pots and custom caps. You can get his bridge wound @ 22K !! or at 10K
    Not allot of money either, very reasonable.
    You know I have 50s wound P-90s from Tom Short and there great....but sometimes you have to go in the other direction....I need two p-90 guitars and that's what I have.

17. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I've had both and you really can't go wrong with either. The Fralins had more midrange character and were a bit hotter in overall output. I sold the guitar that had them and now I only have the Lollar 50's winds in a LP copy. Less midrange and output, but an extremely clear, articulate sound with a nice top-end that kills for lead work.

18. Chas

Chas Member

I would go with Lollar. Both are great and real close but Jason's vibe with the long hair gives him the edge. LOL