London finally here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAT, Jul 22, 2005.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Got my 65Amps London head yesterday. I love the simplicity and the tone. So far, I'm knocked out by it's tone. I'm running through one of my Bruno cabs with a Blue and a G12H30. It has a great volume, not too quiet and loud enough for smaller gigs and rehearsal. I have a Germino and a Swarts on order, probably 2-3 weeks more. Great job on the London, I am very happy Stu told me about this one!

2. Swampash

Swampash Member

Is your Bruno cab open or closed-back?

3. GAT

I have two, both open. The other has the 65 watt speakers and sound pretty goo too. My Germino with a Greenback and G12H30 sounds good, but I like the 30/Blue combination best.

4. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    My London should be here tomorrow and Iam excited about it..What guitars did you use..any comparison between the 12ax7 channel and the ef86 channel.? Did you try the cathode boost?

I know, I'll have mine tomorrow but I can't wait and I am jonesing for more info! :)

Thanks

Dennis

5. Swampash

Swampash Member

I have the London cab with the Blue and (originally) a G12H30.

I swapped the G12H30 out with a Scumback SA12H-55hz, and holy cow, that's just perfect! It tightened the bass up signifficantly, without overemphasing it. The highs are better too - less harsh. Highly recommended! :cool:

BTW, my cab is a semi-open back, that's why I asked - if yours was a closed back, I'd have suggested the Scumback 75hz cone instead.

The G12H30 will go to the emporium...

6. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I have the London with a Weber Blue Dog and a C1230 (Weber version of a G12H30) in an open back Bruno cabinet.

The cleans are amazingly sweet and airy - the highs are sparkly and sweet, the lows are tight and punchy. Chording is EXCELLENT - the note articulation is superb. When distorted, I get the blizzard from those EL-84s.

Along with a Tone King Comet 40B I can cover the best of both sides of the Atlantic.

7. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    I have a Matchless 2x12 open back cab with blackback g12H30 with 444 (55hz) cones I am going to try it with first then I am going to pop a blue in the same cab...That oughtta get it :D

8. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Mine's on its way (courtesy of Stevo57).

I'm going to run it with a Celestion Blue and a Scumback SA12H-55hz (thanks for the suggestion Swampash) in a Bob Burt 2x12.

Better put those crystal glasses away first though :)

9. GAT

I have two Celestion Heritage 30 watters on the way so that may work well. Anyone try a London with those?

10. Dave Bacon

Dave Bacon Member

Mine should be shipping from Stu any day now!!

:D :D :D

Dave

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I played one today, and was completely blown away. One of the best cleans I've ever heard. Nice squishy vintage feel. Massive, punchy low end. The top end was as sweet as a Cowtipper. This one was a combo with a Tubby and some "blue speaker", is that the sales guy said (I never looked). Jensen or Cel Blue maybe? Anyway, it was all I could do to walk out without buying.

Came looking for the used one on the Emporium, but it's gone. I want that combo, anyway, what a great sounding combo!

12. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Most likely a Celestion Blue. You'll see these in most 65 212 combos and extension cabs. The Celestion Blue/G12H30 combination is Dan Bould and Peter Stroud's (of 65 Amp Corps) favorite combination.....mine too so far, but as you see here others have found different combinations that work well for their tastes.

I'm getting ready to load a 212 combo with a Celestion Blue and Heritage 30....might try the Heritage 20 too. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out. Based on what the Heritage Celestion speakers have done for the Germinos I have played... it ought to really smoke!

13. myles111

myles111 Member

Happy playing. You have one of the finest amps I have ever played with. I cannot believe how many Nashville studio folks are using these now (I stopped counting at 20). I don't know if you are aware that the Stones are looking at them very closely these days too so that sort of shows they cover a lot of music bases and styles.

They are killer amps.

14. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Shipping tomorrow actually....don't foget to set the voltage to 240 with the rear selector switch! :D

240 for Astralia....... right?

15. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

How's the clean headroom with P90s and humbuckers?

16. GAT

I've tried it with himbuckers and P-90's and it sounds very cool. I would say that unless the volume knobs are down or you plug into the padded inputs, there is not a lot of clean headroom ala Johnny A. There is a bit of hair on the cleans (which is what I like). It does clean up very well but not a loud clean.

17. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Exactly. Pristine cleans at high volumes are not what this amp is designed for. Mine starts to get fat with a little crunch on the cleans around rhythm volume in our band. Turn it up a little and there's a nice low gain lead tone that's fat and tasty. Turn it all the way up and it's rock city. That's on the tremelo channel. There's a bit more headroom available on the color channel (vox).

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i'm waiting until they're bought out by US Music, so i can finally get my hands on one. ;) :p :D

19. DanBoul

DanBoul Member

Pardon me?????????????

:confused:

20. GAT

I always try to buy from the small guy, keep up the good work Dan!