London Fuzz v. Huckleberry

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzzyratfarts, Apr 7, 2008.

1. fuzzyratfarts

fuzzyratfarts Member

What differences exist? I know the Huckleberry has a Fuzz Face circuit with a Big Muff tone stack but that's about it. Would they cover a lot of the same ground?

2. 4styx

4styx Member

I had a Huckelberry and sold it.Seemed to colour the sound too much.Not what I'd call a true FF.

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

a huckleberry ain't no fuzzface, fo sho.

loved it still. i miss it sometimes. had to go in the pedal purge that netted almost 1400 bucks. . . and helped pay the bills.

as much as i loved it, i think i'm more of a fuzzface guy though. . . and this. . it ain't . . .

then again, a fuzzface can't do what a huck can do . . . it's a bit on the dark side, but in a very good way. fatback once did a slammin' vid of it. . . and it can really do ALL of those thangs. . . it 'feels' a bit of a silicon fuzz. . .

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

The London fuzz is a really great pedal.

5. Dale

Dale Member

It is a different voice and is a hybrid fuzz. I like mine a lot, but it is not the same as a FF.

6. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

The MJM London Fuzz is one of the best repro of a Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face, if not the best. Creamy smoothness and sweet gain to boot. I've been preaching it since 2001. :)

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I really like the MJM fuzz clips, but I've never been able to try any of their stuff. I really like the Foxey Fuzz sound the best, but not as much like a silicon Fuzz Face as the London silicon version, I guess. It depends on which FF you're looking for; the germanium Arbiter version, or the later silicon one made when the company was called Dallas/Arbiter (I'm assuming they merged). I just got a used '03 NKT Sunface and I really can't imagine a better one for the germanium FF sounds. It absolutely nails the Clapton Cream sound (I hate using that "It nails the..." type of expression, but it really does apply here). FWIW, I do hear great things about the MJM dirt pedals.

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

I like the London Fuzz better than the Huckleberry...in true TGP form though both have been purged and replaced with a Monsterpiece...

9. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I will gladly stand up and be counted amoung the MJM London fans of the world.

10. thewex

thewex Member

after some discussion with mike from MJM, i'm going with the Foxey Fuzz. i'll let you know how it is gang twanger!

11. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I guess I'm in the minority but I like my Huckleberry.

12. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

I like too the Huckleberry, it's more in the muff ground than
    in the fuzzface to my ears.