London Power Aurora amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GreenTea, May 16, 2007.

1. Scottone

Scottone Member

I've owned 2 Studio amps (and a Sustainor pre-amp) in the past, and they were certainly unique in that many different parameters could be adjusted. At the time that I owned them, they were the only power scaled amps around as well.

With the right settings, I was able to get some pretty convincing Vox Fender tweed, and Marshall tones from the Studio.

I'm more of a plug and play guy at heart so I ended up selling them and going with a Stephenson amp.

Kevin is a great guy and helped me out a lot when I was tinkering with my own amps. I have no doubt that everyone on the list will get their amp. Hopefully Kevin can lock in on the design and get churning them out.

2. gilmourfan1977

gilmourfan1977 Member

Hi,

Well my faith comes from a few sources I suppose. First of all, and most importantly, is that some of the best amp builders in the world use his technologies/books in their own amps. Second, no one else is doing what he does at the level he is doing it. Third he is helpful and genuine on the phone and via emails. Fourth is that sometimes you know a genius when you deal with one... of course I may be wrong but nahhh, that guy is on top of the game. Yeh he's really late and the prices have changed - no biggie for me, and believe me I *want* that amp I ordered from him over a year ago... but if he would have told me it would have taken 2 years to get I would have still ordered it... he didn't say that, but if he would of up front I would have still decided to wait. All in all, I just don't mind waiting for him, and I'm often an impatient person. Besides, the amp designs keep improving but he's giving us the amps at the locked-in price I agreed to. There's honor in that, and more than this there's honor in him admitting that he was wrong about some things. Not everyone is that mature, and he deserves patience and understanding.

Tony

3. Edmundo

Edmundo Supporting Member

This thread reminds me a little of Carl Zwengel...an absolutely brilliant tube amp designer combined with frustrating business practices.

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The thing about London Power is that, unlike almost all other amps out there, you can't get a single sound clip .... for that matter, I never hear glowing reviews on their tone, either. More just descriptions of how cool the technology is ... that's nice, but tone is paramount.

5. Phloored

Phloored Member

I agree. I have kept my super standard for going on 5 years because it just keeps giving new exciting full tones. I think people blabber about the technology because it is so unique, and that is what sets it apart. Make no mistake, Kevin is serious about tone.

For those patient enough to wait I bet you'll be pleasently suprised. If you like to discover new tones and enjoy a powerful eq, its a great amp to have.I'd be understandably pissed about the revisions and timeframe, and I bet there is more going on than is being revealed. Having said that, the amps will delight most is my best estimate.

Anyway, the only clips I've heard were from Matte a while back and HarryJ also did some clean tones IIRC

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Haven't heard or seen those. Just searched youtube, the go-to spot, and not a single clip.

7. larbear63

larbear63 Member

that is my point exactly! i give kevin his props as he as made incredible
    contributions to amp building industry. however as an amp builder & as
    a customer service aspect, he really needs to read some OTHER peoples books.

i had an aurora on order & paid for 15 months before i decided enough is enough. he announced the "power scaling for $1000.00" amp almost 4 years ago & hasn't delivered squat. the only thing i got delivered from kevin was a dismissive attitude & apathy.:bkw

8. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

I use some of Kevin's technology, as do a host of other builders. He's definitely the idea guy - he's been referenced in a few patents too (like those by Peavey).

And that being said, he's admitted more than once that he is highly optimistic about completion of projects, books... and his amps too. Unfortunately that optimism can extend to new designs as well... but that's not the same as vaporware, as we are talking about somebody who isn't purposefully dishonest, malicious, or distrustful, and is ultimately one of the few people alive that can execute his ideas.

I can say from experience it's hard enough to manage the production of amplifiers with the normal day-to-day requirements of the business (like warranty service, inventory ordering, shipping, etc) that you need to be sure not to offer a product for sale before it's actually been completed. Even when you do that, your schedule may slide... but at least it's not involving changing designs. Bottom-line... builders really shouldn't offer products that aren't production ready.

Nevertheless, any of the negatives aside, at the end of the day Kevin O'Connor is the true modern day Leo Fender. He's the most creative builder alive, thinking continually outside the box, and making the options to every buyer better daily. He personally reminds me of Leo too (I was his neighbor in Santa Ana many years ago, and have good memories of his many wild ideas, even long into retirement, like the Flo-Tar, which was never completed... true genius never stops).

So having one of Kevin's amps would be worth waiting for, and the day will come when you may kick yourself for not bearing with it.

Best advice I can give is if you have some coin to invest in a great and collectible amp you will receive one-day, and don't need one immediately, get onboard with his new designs.

Otherwise, go with current production, of which you might find one used (rare, but it happens).

9. gilmourfan1977

gilmourfan1977 Member

I am happy to see the support for London Power. Some people don't seem to understand that they are dealing with arguably the most gifted amp designer on the planet. No one else is on his level. In fact I doubt *anyone* past or present knows/knew as much about amp electronics and possibilities as Kevin. If he hasn't got an A+ grade of predicting prices and delivery times, so what. I feel lucky to even be "in the know" enough to have an amp on order from him.

It's silly to not think Kevin knows tone, or to place too much emphasis on clips. Look at the amps he's designing - seems you can make them sound and feel however you want, at any volume, not to mention they do things other amps can't. It's a statement of faith on my part to feel the amp I will get from him is going to "deliver the goods" - sure I agree, there isn't much "proof" out there in the form of clips, etc., but I have faith in him. Suhr and Reeves and the others aren't paying Kevin for no reason. His amps rarely show-up for sale, anywhere. There's most likely a reason for that as well.

Comparing him to Leo is correct, and that's a high honor to bestow.

Regards,
    Tony

10. mooreamps

mooreamps Senior Member

Case in point. He has a lot on his plate with writing his books, running his business, giving seminars, and then working on his projects. I can easily sit down in front of the TV set, watch "Friends", and cook up some new layout to build. But, actually going downstairs into my lab and "doing the build", that's a lot of work.

11. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I have no dog in this fight; I own most of Kevins books and do refer to them frequently... But comparing him to Leo Fender?

Leo was a successful mass marketer of affordable products and even early in his career, he had gobs of gear in the hands of hundreds of musicians, both famous and obscure. Leo had a network of distributors and marketers, as well as service centers. Leo employed a crapload of people, and had invested in the needed support and manufacturing needed to deliver a mass produced product. Leo was the Henry Ford of the electric guitar and amp world...

No disrespect to Kevin, but he is not that...

12. gilmourfan1977

gilmourfan1977 Member

Was talking in terms of influence and creativity myself, which I'd wager the other gentleman who mentioned it was as well.

13. 85db

85db Member

There's something very wrong here. Shouldn't we obsess with products (amps, guitars, etc) and not the people who design and make them??? This feels like a hero worship if not apotheosis. I'm not interested in forming any opinions about the people behind London Power or being advised to invest a coin in their future. I just want to learn more about their products, specifically:
    • What do they sound like?
    • What artists are using them?
    • What records have they been used on?
    • What's their delivery track record?
    • How do they treat their customers?

14. mooreamps

mooreamps Senior Member

No, he is not that.. But then again, with all due respect, neither was Mr. Dumble.... Now, I'm not sure "why" the dumble amps were so popular, expect Maurice tells me the big thing about Dumbles, they were built like tanks and were 110 percent reliable ; as I am sure Kevins amps are......

-g

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  15. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Leo and Kevin have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
    Kevin is more of an electronic sound Engineer. Kevin deserves credit for sharing his knowledge. Leo was a manufacturing innovator businessman and a very practical person, his designs were based on the markets needs. Leo did have a design staff as well, George Fullerton and Freddie Tavares.

John Page would be a good person to ask about who did what.

16. gilmourfan1977

gilmourfan1977 Member

Leo/Kevin... both paradigm-shifting figures and geniuses ([obviously?] in their own right regarding *what* they've contributed to this particular subject matter). And - as I understand it Kevin has sold many incarnations of his amps over the years, few of which ever go up for sale. When you mix that in with the fact that his books/innovations/understanding of this stuff is likely second to none, well, give him a break for being late. At this point you're just mad anyways. Hey, you don't have to wait for an amp anymore though. Plenty of other good builders to choose from. And he's never treated me like #%$&... the people who say he's cool, like me, outnumber your group. You come-across as rude anyways... you likely deserve whatever you get ;) Bottom line that Studio amp is going to be a world class piece. I'll send you a picture of mine, for 5 dollars.

17. voojo

voojo Member

I think there is a used Studio 50 for sale in the emporium.

:JAM

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

wow...this thread is from 2007!!

19. larbear63

larbear63 Member

yes it is. the aurora was anounced for sale in january 2007:rotflmao

this wouldn't even be an issue if kevin had not kept making promises that it would "only be 1 more month" making that the mantra of london power amps.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  20. gilmourfan1977

gilmourfan1977 Member

One of the biggest problems with this world is that some people can't forgive and have a youthful level of understanding and contextualization, even when they're adults. The guy apologized for crying out loud. If he was a prick about it I'd cancel my order, but he's being a stand-up guy about missed deadlines, pricing projection errors, and also about the locked-in price deals he's giving the people who wait. He deserves patience. The guy isn't making Vox clones he's breaking new ground. :)