1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

london power kits

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cugel, Feb 14, 2009.

1. cugel

cugel Member

anyone checked out kevin o'connors kits?
    they look cool, totally modular so to speak. you can mix and match and preamp -+ power scaling effects loops etc. you name it probably not for the beginner but maybe only for an expert but they appear to be the result of a very smart amp guy

http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/project_kits.php

feel free to throw in thoughts on the torrodial transformers he uses too

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Bump, as I have Kevin's first three books, The Ultimate Tone series and they are a wealth of knowledge. I thought about ordering a poweramp and preamp kit as well, seems like a cool way to customize an amp.

3. cugel

cugel Member

i have book number 1 and to be honest its a bit advnced for me. a really cool way to customize indeed. i have confidence that his knowledge would lead to some great kits

4. voojo

cugel, did you ever go forward with these? I'm giving them a serious look right now, I've got an uncle that's an electrical engineer & circuit builder, I think I'll get a couple of the kits and have him give me a hand getting them together.

I'm not sure which pre-amp to go with, as I would eventually like to try them all!

I'll try to keep this thread updated if I decide to go this route.

5. presence

presence Member

6. voojo

Care to expand that thought so it's useful?

7. presence

presence Member

8. voojo

Thanks presence. I'm actually looking at Kevin's amp building kits, where you order a pre-amp & power amp kit. They have PCBs and components that you populate and solder yourself. Then put them together into a chassis of your own choosing.

I think initially I will go without power scaling. I am especially interested in his GmX kit, which supposedly makes small amps sound/feel much bigger than they are. That is the main reason I want to build one of the kits, to see how good that technology works. I have heard from a few people that it's impressive technology, but I would like to experience it first hand.

-Seth

9. presence

presence Member