Lone Star w/ Yellow Jackets vs. Lone Star Special?

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm hoping that the time that has passed since the last time we talked about this will have afforded more people the opportunity to make a comparison. Anyway, I plan on getting a new amp next month, and I'm 90% certain it's going to be a Lone Star, whether Classic or Special. I've already owned a Lone Star Special, and I absolutely loved it. I'm intrigued by the extra options the original Lone Star adds, though. So here's my question...

Can the LSC capture the LSS vibe with Yellow Jacket adapters?

kbgear

Silver Supporting Member
What options does the LSC provide that the LSS doesn't? The only difference I'm aware of (as an LSC owner) is that the rectifier tracking is preset to the default LSC behavior. And I've never had a desire to change it.

Unless you mean that you could choose to switch to 6L6s or EL-34s? I would expect the LSC to sound fairly different than the LSS even with EL-84s, given the different transformers and different circuit voicings (adapted to octals). How much different and in what ways are going to be pretty subjective, so I'm not sure how helpful other folks' experiences would be. If you're talking combos, then the cabinet size could factor into tone as well.

After quite a few amps, I've found that I really feel at home with a specific power tube type. I'd never want to not have that tube type, but I'm happy to have a second "backup" amp with a different type. In other words, if the LS would be your primary amp, just go with the LSS. If you just want some occasional 6L6/EL-34 tone down the line, use the price difference between the LSS and LSC toward a lower-cost octal amp.

I think the LSS sounds glorious in its own way, and its the sum of its parts that makes it that way. Once you start changing the ingredients...

Just MHO, YMMV, etc. :)

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
Well, my understanding is that the preamps are identical, analogous to the Express series, and only the output sections differ. With that thought, and with the conversion that happens in a Yellow Jacket, I am curious if anyone has experience comparing LSC with YJs to a LSS.

As far as extra tweaks, it's minimal, but the LSS does not have a Tweed power mode, and it's limited to EL84s only. It would be fun, in theory, to compare 6L6, 6V6, and EL34 tubes in the same amp. :)

I'm also seriously looking at the Express Plus lineup, but with Guitar Center still having a decent inventory of Boogies, there are some great deals to be found across the board.

Weerez935

With the Express 550 plus you get the lone star circuit, mark v eq, el84s and 6l6. I'm making a similiar decision but am leaning towards express.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk