Lonestar Special/Any true fans here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brianf, Feb 1, 2008.

1. brianf

brianf Member

I have to admit that when I bought mine about 2 years ago, I bought it without even listening to it. Saw the adverts, heard it was a 30, 15, 5 watt amp, was made by Mesa. Good enough for me. My dealer cut me a great deal on one and I had it in less than a month.

Now the reason I bought it just like that was I'm a big Mesa fan and already had 3 others in the basement at the time. What could be wrong with it?

I have not been disapointed. I do like it set to 30 watts but the 5 watts can be a blast to fool around on.

Just a very versatile amp for relatively little money for a well made amp with so many features.

Why not much LSS love on this forum???

The reason I ask is I have a BadCat Tone Cat due to hit my dealer in a week and I will trade something in on it.

I know I have to make the decision as to what gets traded but am I missing something makes the LSS not a fan favorite here.

brianf

2. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm picking one up in 10.5 hours. Hope I'm as happy as you sound.

3. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

The LSS is to me absolutely beautiful in tone.....It is to my ears how a guitar should sound....In both bands that I perform and tour with they both love the sound and comment on it....

I just ordered a 1x12 LSS Cocoa Cream with a 1x12 matching ext. cab!!!

I just did a gig today in front of 30,000 people in Rotorua, New Zealand and I had to play thru a Twin Reverb which is a great amp for what it does however it did not sound NO WHERE near as good to me and as sweet as my LSS!!! Not even close!!!

4. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

Oh I'm definitely a fan of my 1x12 LSS. I love the clean tones in the 30 watt mode and the medium gain blues tones as well. "Juicy" is the best way to describe it. It sounds particularly good with the EI EL-84's I got from Doug's Tubes. Very versatile amp. Now if it was only about 20 lbs lighter, I'd really be jazzed.

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I tried one a while back and liked it pretty well. I thought the drive channel was somewhat weak. The clean and the reverb were really nice. I liked the LSC better as it just had more oomph than the LSS.

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

Wait till you play through your Tone Cat.

You'll be in a different world.

While the LSS is a pretty cool concept, it doesn't hold a candle
    to many of the better hand wired circuits, some in the same price range, some higher.

7. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

With an EJ strat for clean and just a little bit of dirty blues, it doesn't get any better. I was noodling around this AM with my EJ strat and LSS 1x12 combo with the 1x 12 ext cab and its just about perfect.

I still wrestle with humbuckers; they're great clean but I have issues with the dirty tones but I'm still hacking away.

Add the amazing flexibility with the two channels and its a great, great amp.

8. wodka

wodka Member

I love most of the current Mesa lineup. The LS and the 5:50 are my favorites. You really can't beat them for the price and service.

9. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I definitely enjoyed the LSS for the hour I played it. The cleans were nice, but I think they would be even better on the Classic. The gain was nice, and I felt it sounded great for the dirty blues. With the gain higher, you can get pretty nice higher gain lead tones too.

I dug it, but would love to compare it to the Classic.

10. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

I owned one...HATED IT!...The reverb kept feeding back thru the speaker..It was a nightmare..I sold it, and I woulda gave it away...Mesa customer service was snooty, and never helped with the problem...NEVER AGAIN!!!

11. wilerty

wilerty Member

No amp is going to appeal to everyone. I don't think there is any lack of love for the LSS at all. If there were any negative comments, they seemed to be about a lack of headroom not tone. If you want LOTS of headroom, the LSC is a better bet, although I think the LSS has plenty of power.

12. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

I agree, Vince. Lifting mine into the car is a hassle. Cool amp, though.

13. Miles

Miles Member

I like the mesa lonestar special...I think they sound great.

Warm, jangly, chimey, great for everything from jazz to rock 'n roll. I love both channels on 5 watt mode for home use, it really is bliss.

I think they're great.

14. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Just another comment about headoom especially related to the LSC- there's just no way a 4 EL-84 amp is going to have the kind of headroom that a 4 6L6 amps has. A better comparison is other 4 EL-84 amps and I can tell you the LSS has as much headroom a the 4 EL-84's Z maz 38

15. Deaj

Deaj Member

I'd love to have a LSS 1x12 combo - great sounding amp!!

16. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I test drove one today and I loved it.

My thoughts:
    1. This amp is not for plug-and-play guitarists. It takes considerable tweaking and some trial-and-error to dial in the tone you want.
    2. If you need clean headroom, you probably wouldn't be looking to EL84s anyway. I found it to be clean enough for what I need. Playing with the gain the power output settings really schooled me in my knowledge of gain structure and how output responds to input.
    3. Channel 2 was a lot harder to dial in. I finally set it identically to the clean tone I had dialed in on channel 1 and tweaked from there. I should have done that from the start. I was able to get some great blues tones all the way to heavy classic rock. I can't see it doing metal--not that I was expecting it do.
    4. This amp is very heavy for a 1x12. The casters make the weight more manageable. It feels like it weighs in at about 60 lbs. The smaller size of the 1x12 will make it less bulky than my 2x12 Blues Custom.
    5. I can't wait to take delivery.

17. std22

std22 Member

Love mine:) Great gigging amp on 15watts, just smokes. Not understanding all the trouble with the gain channel as it cooks!!!!!!

18. Casual Picker

Casual Picker Member

I have the 410 combo and absolutely love it. I just bought a new Gretsch 6120 and I think this is going to be the ultimate blues combo. (for me) I have never experienced the reverb feedback problem, even at considerable volume. I think it's because of the added room of the 410 cab. It is WAY heavy though.

19. ylo

ylo Member

Yes, I agree the flexibility with the two channels is really great.

I'm not a fan of the sotck speaker in the 1x12. I put a Weber Blue Dog in mine and it sounds FANTASTIC with humbuckers now, not muddy at all.

My only other gripe is that it sounds too much like a BF Fender (same tone stack evidently). If only it had the same tone stack as some of the Bad Cats AND two switchable channels . . .