Lonestar special question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamminoutloud1, Nov 5, 2005.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

Hey guys,
    I wanted your opinions of the good and bad stuff about the Lonestar Special. And I was wondering if you think this amp could be good for fusion...think tribal tech, scott henderson.
    And if I threw a zendrive pedal in front, would that be a gret match?
    And I have Fender Deluxe Reissue and sometimes can't get that loud in the band mix.
    Does this amp have more than enough power for clubs without being miced. Not BIG clubs, but medium clubs.
    Thanks!

2. glynn

glynn Member

I think that amp does that fusion style tone very well. I'm not sure its going to be much louder than the fender tho, so you might want to look into the regular lonestar. They sound really similar, but the extra watts of the 6l6 might be what you are looking for.

Most GC stores have both, so you might be able to check them out side by side.

3. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

Well, I really like both amps. The Special did sound better to my ears, although it was a short amount of time I had in GC with all the metal heads playing loud right next to me.
    But if this amp won't get loud enough with a full band, then I might need to reconsider.
    Also, how does this amp act in a Jazz or bebop setting?

4. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I was pretty unimpressed with the Lone Star special, especially its distorted sound. I ended up buying an F-50, which is $500 cheaper, and a much, much better sounding amp IMHO. Not sure what the fusion sound is you're looking for. The Lone Star seems best at cleans and that pushed SRV kind of sound. It doesn't have the typical Mesa sing to it at all. It is plenty loud enough for gigs.

6. brianf

brianf Member

7. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

The guys I really like are Scott Henderson, not newer more like tribal tech, Robben Ford, and John Scofield.

8. brianf

brianf Member

I can tell you this much. The Lonestar special in the 30 Watt Mode is really loud. I also think in the 15 watt mode it has more headroom than the 22 watt DRRI.

The DRRI is brighter for sure!!! Even with the presence and teble cranked the Mesa will not get close.

I think the reverb is just better sounding on the Fender too. Mesa claims the Lonestar Special has the best reverb ever. It is good ( 2 different styles) but IMHO the Fender is better reverb.

If I had to keep just one amp though. Lonestar hands down.

brianf

9. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

Can I ask why you would keep the Lonestar if the Deluxe overrules everything on the Lonestar?
    Also, do you think I can get pretty close to all the guys I just named?

10. brianf

brianf Member

The Deluxe is really just a one trick pony. Yes it has tremolo but this is an amp that was designed about 40 years ago. Nothing too fancy back then.

The 3 different power settings on the LSS do give you some very different tones.

I'm still learning to use channel 2. It goes from quite clean to a Santana OD.

In reality I could sell off the DRRI and not miss it much, but they are so inexpensive that I will keep it.

As far as the guys you mentioned, I have never heard them.

brianf

My son also loves the LSS.

11. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

Does anybody know if I can nail these tones with this amp?

12. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I own an LSS, and I'll say that just like all Mesa's, this amp takes a lot of tweaking. All the controls are very interactive. Once you get your tone dialed in, it is a great amp. I highly reccomend starting with some of the suggestions in the manual. Settings you would normally cringe at sound very good.

13. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

why would you need an amp to be soooooooooo bright???
    I just need to know, maybe we old farts hear things differently

14. brianf

brianf Member

I'm an old fart too. Maybe our hearing is shot in those higher frequencies.

I'm just one of those guys who likes the treble and presence at about 2:00.

The yellow channel on my dual recto drives me nuts. Both treble and presence are at 3:00.

brianf

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

hahahhahahahhahahahahahha, my Tremoverb is lovely!!!!

16. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

Okay, since nobody has heard any of these guys...can you tell me all the kinds of tones that I CAN get?
    I'll be using mainly a Heritage semihollow prospect guitar.

17. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

The clean channel goes from clean to low/medium gain, and has a cross of Fender and Vox tones. The gain channel can be set to be the same as the clean channel, or get into more gain. It definately won't get into Dual Rec territory, but it has plenty of gain for classic rock, and classic hard rock.

18. chedgeco

chedgeco Silver Supporting Member

If you are going for these guys I would not go with the LSS. I would compare the LSS to a Vox sort of sound, chimey and breathy.

IMHO the LSC would serve your tone needs better, although it will serve the Ford need better than Scofield or Henderson. The LSC was really designed around that low gain kind type of tone, think Mesa Mark IIb. If you need Scofield and Henderson then you may want to consider and old Mark III if you really want a Boogie (can't blame you... see my sig). The Mark III sounds great right from the get go but it can also be modded by Mike B. up at Boogie to do almost anything.

Some guys are really hot on the new Fuchs ODS amps. I've heard some of their clips and am really impressed with the "Ford" capable tones. I haven't heard any Henderson or Scofield type clips yet though. You can also check out the CAA OD100. I believe Henderson is actually using these amps now. Of course when you step into the Fuchs and CAA world you are at a completely different price point.

Chris... :cool:

19. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

well, doesn't scofield play a Vox?

20. chedgeco

chedgeco Silver Supporting Member

And a Mesa Mark I reissue:

http://www.johnscofield.com/equip.html

IMHO both the Vox and the Mark I are in the "one trick" pony camp.

I'm not trying to sell you on anything, you should definitely go play them and decide for youself. Your local GC should have all of them in stock. Have fun... :D

Chris... :cool: