Lonestar Special v Black Cat Cub II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robelinda2, Aug 26, 2008.

1. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Well, these two amps are what its come down to for me, after lots and lots of playing them both in the shops over the past few weeks, i like both, but ive never found a shop with both, which of course i never expected, so ive never heard them side by side to compare. What to choose? I like a great clean sound and just use overdrive, nothing particularly hot, I use single coils 99% of the time. The feature of the LS I like the most is the 5w switch, very useful, the Bad Cat is much louder but has such a classy clean/break up tone, and takes my pedals so well, but a part of thinks that the LS is a great versatile amp that would suit any musical situation, and it too is classy. Both amps seem pretty dissimilar to me in terms of features, but have great cleans. any thoughts guys?

Both amps make my current 3 amps seem completely inept, so i'm very excited.

2. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I have had both and prefer the badcat cub .. I prefer badcats in general over Mesa. I have had many mesa amps and 3 badcats. I still have the badcats and no mesa's. I just prefer the sound of the badcats. Even at low volumes the cub will sound excellent and when you can crank them a little they are quite powerful. I think the cub is more versatile also. I still like mesa's but it is just a preference....

3. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I've had the Lonestar Special 1x12 and a Bad Cat Cub 2x10. I did prefer the Lonestar. Very versatile, great tones and superb reverb. Took pedals really well. The Cub had nice cleans, but I did not care much for its driven tones. The cub took pedals well too.

4. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Its tough, both sound good, and as both are very expensive here in Oz i wont be able to buy another for a long time, so I need to make the right choice. I'm going to play the LS again today, the Cub tomorrow.

5. Rock72

Rock72 Member

It all depends on what you want and your style of music. The LSS is more flexible tonally and it sounds great. Not pushing you in any direction but if I had to chose between the two, I would go for the LSS.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

6. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

The LSS sure is impressive, thanks for your 2 cents.

7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Not quite the same, but needing a new amp urgently a coupleof years ago, I went to a store, which had LSC and BAd CAt HC30. The bad Cat was outrageously expensive, and I refused to look at it. It just seemed to have no features compared to the Mesa. I bought the LSC. Later on, looking a a guitar in the same store, I deceided to plug into the Bad Cat. Ouch !!!! I was severely impressed. Time went by, teh price came down, and I bought the Bad Cat.

A year later, I hardly play the LSC, and I'm thinking of selling it. The Bad CAt gets played constantly, and I will never part with it.
    I'm in Oz BTW, so I'm aware of the pricing and options etc.
    It depends a litetl on what you will do with it, but I'd probably buy the BAd Cat. They are a bit more exclusive, and while tehy seem to have less switching options etc, you just cannot get a bad toen from my HC30. I imagine the Black CAt to be as good in it's own way. Cathode bias too, no tech needed, and tubes are cheaper than Mesa tubes.

8. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

The good thing about the Cub is that it just has serious TONE, not complicated to use at all. I need to decide if all the options the LSC offers are really that necessary for me.

9. The Captain

Yes, my Bad Cat has serious TONE !!!!!
    Mesa amps are not really complicated. You just have gain/eq/volume repeated a few times, and pick your power rating. I think the 5 watt option is groovy. My LSC came before that. Mesa's also come with footswitches and covers and wheels etc, and teh Bad Cat had none of that. Cost me $250 for the A/B box.
    But the tone is criminally good, and it is by far the better sounding amp.
    But if I were gigging in dodgy pubs and grotty environments or travelling it alot, I would go for the Mesa.

10. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Just spent 45 mins playing the LSC, very impressive as always, but my gut says the Bad Cat has a bit more of a classy clean tone, the LSC cleans were tight and punchy, the lats time i played the Cub II the cleans seemed to be from the heavens, tomorrow i'll play the Cub again. The LSC is so versatile though, and I got a better handle on the switching, its pretty easy to use actually. There was something about the overall tone though, like its tense or something, not warm and relaxed like the Bad Cat, i dunno, how do you put those kinda things into words.

11. The Captain

I willsell by LSC if you want it. NO 5 watt option, black taurus finish 212 combo. PM if interested. I'm in northern NSW/Gold Coast area.

12. HighSpeedSpoon

HighSpeedSpoon Member

You seem to really love the Bad Cat. Maybe you ought to consider getting an attenuator with it. The tone may not be quite as gorgeous when dialed down, but it's something to think about. -- just a thought.

13. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Ive found a shop with a few Matchless amps, will check them out too.

14. The Captain

Nah, the tone is just as good. If you just adjust the gain a little as you go up and down with the MV, you can what you want any any volume.