• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Lonestar Wiring: Why Does my Split position still sound like crap?

drod1985

I've got an HSS strat I put together with Dimarzio Areas in the neck and middle and an Air Zone in the bridge.

I have the bucker set to split in the Bridge/Middle position, and even have the bucker split selectable on a push-push pot. Either way my bridge/middle poisition sounds thin, bright, and drops in volume. Help?

fumbler

Sounds like it's wired out of phase.

You need to reverse the phase (swap hot and ground) on the bridge pup for that position.

(you could reverse the middle pup instead but it'll make the neck/middle combo out-of-phase so you'll have to reverse the neck, too.)

EDIT: Read the second post in this thread! It's exactly the problem you describe.

Last edited:

drod1985

So I need to reverse the phase of my bridge pickup all together? As in just swapping hot and ground will solve my problem? Will this change the way the pup sounds by itself?

fumbler

Yup that's it. And it won't affect the sound of that pickup by itself (only when in combination with another pup).

One thing, though: if the pickup has a metal cover it should be grounded regardless of the phase of the pickup. Since your humbucker splits then it should have 5 wires, right? They are hot/ground for each coil (you get to decide which is hot and which is ground; hence the choice of pickup phase) but the 5th is for grounding the cover.

Trending Topics