• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Long and McQuade sales

aaronjcurtis

Silver Supporting Member
Check their gear hunter page. Most everything is laughable sales, but there are deals to be had.

I bought a new Fender American Strat for$1299 Canadian and a demo Taylor 314ce for $1500 Canadian in the past 6 months.
this is where trade ins can be found. For example, there’s a Deluxe trans green Strat for $1299 there right now. Not bad price.

Xevyn

Check their gear hunter page. Most everything is laughable sales, but there are deals to be had.

I bought a new Fender American Strat for$1299 Canadian and a demo Taylor 314ce for $1500 Canadian in the past 6 months.
GearHunter definitely has some hidden gems every now and then. I recently picked up a really good sounding used 2016 J45 Standard from there for $1899 CDN...most of the time those go for $2200 and up.

Xevyn

Which US stores are you folks having luck with for deals on regular items (not Gibson or Fender custom shop stuff)? From the few times I have almost ordered, the exchange rate and cost of shipping seems to negate the deals. Also any issues with warranty for items purchased in the US?

vourot

The Granville store was way better. They had been there so long they had stuff they didn't know they had so there were always deals to be had. They cleaned out most of the excess inventory between Granville and Terminal and have not been "one" with trades since. Because of Craigslist they just can't compete so they'd sooner you sell privately, hence the low-ball trade-in prices they've been offering. Fewer trades coming in means fewer deals going out.
I liked the Granville location because NJAMS had moved just up a few blocks after their escape from Granville Mall. The L&M was on 4th forever before they moved to Granville, then to Arbutus for a cup of coffee while they built Terminal.

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
Which US stores are you folks having luck with for deals on regular items (not Gibson or Fender custom shop stuff)? From the few times I have almost ordered, the exchange rate and cost of shipping seems to negate the deals. Also any issues with warranty for items purchased in the US?
CME has always treated me stellar. You just have to be upfront and ask for deals / be prepared to negotiate a little bit (politely). Also, this goes for every store - call in and build rapport with a sales person, don't try to negotiate with online chat reps from the site.

Other good stores are Mark's Guitar Loft, Eddie's, Dave's, Breaze Guitars.. deals to be had everywhere in the US. Just be prepared to pickup the phone and speak with a human.

colchar

One thing to be weary of is their long term financing deals (often in October which is the Gibson month they'll finance new Gibsons for as long as 48 months). These are NOT a good idea, the interest rate is higher than just putting it on a credit card. These are borderline predatory. They don't advertise the interest rate, but if you just add up the installments you realize that your new Les Paul is going to cost you more than a grand extra.
Gibson Month is in April, not October, and the interest rate is actually lower than most credit cards.

Badside

Gibson Month is in April, not October, and the interest rate is actually lower than most credit cards.
Their interest rate is currently 17% (as of last weekend). My credit card is 10.5%.

You're correct about Gibson month being April. I think I got confused cause October is Yorkville month, which extends to Gibson products (Yorkville is the Canadian distributor). For October, if I look at the past year flyers, you can finance a Gibson at 0% but over 12 months.

In April they offer 3-4 years financing but at very high interest rates

e.g. Looking at the 2019 Gibson Month flyer, a Standard Faded LP was 2199$ or 42$ bi-weekly over 36 months... Nice way of hiding the fact that it's actually 78 payments (it's every 2 weeks, not twice a month). Total paid: 3276$!!!! That's almost an extra 50% paid in interest, which comes to about a 28% yearly rate!

Of course, it's not my place to tell people whether or not they should finance such a purchase, plus you can pay it off early. But I do find these promo to be a bit abusive. Sure, it's a tool... but I suggest you don't use it.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I have never bought any guitar from L&M. I had a friend who grew up with one of the owner's son, that I knew a bit as well. Their guitars are way overpriced. I think part of that has to do with many people involved in L&M owning the wholesaler Yorkville Sound. Some retailers consider both the same owners. I once asked if they had used guitars years ago in their flagship store. They said yes, their rental guitars. The prices were the same as new. That sore does carry used guitars now though. I've only bought little accessories from them. One of my least favorite guitar shops in Toronto.

slayerbear17

Urgh. I have a love/hate relationship with L&M. When Axe Music was still around at least they had a reason to compete with some serious sales.

Now all they do is pawn off used traded in gear and make it look like a huge sale, which even prices aren't all that great.

Sennheiser had a sale on some mics and L&M made it look like they were ones giving the sale.

Don't even get me started with there sales guys.

I try not to shop with them but once in awhile I'll have no choice, they do have a great line of cheaper mics called Apex and I gotta say for a cheap chinese line of mics these absolutely rock.

Gone are the days where they had really good deals to get you in the door, years ago I bought a pack of drum sticks and some smaller stuff for $20, everywhere else would have been over $50.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
First off the Cdn dollar took a big hit some years ago, prices accelerated and never recovered.

There was a time when L&M would match (so they said) online prices if you included all the actual landed costs, i.e. money rate, shipping, taxes and duties, etc.
Looked legit to me and purchasing locally, hands on, is highly preferable.

$wise, used stuff has jumped, but pedal prices, new and used, have really bounced up.

My local L&M has helped me find some obscure parts through Yorkville and their distribution chain.
But they know me.
Ask them to do a deep dig if you want something.

colchar

Their interest rate is currently 17% (as of last weekend). My credit card is 10.5%.
So their interest rate is higher than your credit card, but not for most people's.

Standard interest rates are 19%-20%. Both of my WE cards are 19%, including the one with annual fee (I get it waived), and my Amex card is 19% as well. Luckily I rarely carry a balance so I don't have to worry about it.

Check these links for typical interest rates:

colchar

I have never bought any guitar from L&M. I had a friend who grew up with one of the owner's son, that I knew a bit as well. Their guitars are way overpriced. I think part of that has to do with many people involved in L&M owning the wholesaler Yorkville Sound. Some retailers consider both the same owners. I once asked if they had used guitars years ago in their flagship store. They said yes, their rental guitars. The prices were the same as new. That sore does carry used guitars now though. I've only bought little accessories from them. One of my least favorite guitar shops in Toronto.
Their list prices are in line with what other stores charge.

And the "some retailers consider them both the same owners" comment makes no sense - they are the same owners/company. There is nothing to consider.

Mejis

Silver Supporting Member
Every so often I’ve seen insane deals for Black Friday - especially back when they used to release the inventory list by store via PDF - but you had to hunt for them.

I bought a lightly used Prism Sound Atlas for less than half the price of a new one, and the year before last they had an API 2500 for $1499 CAD (which is a crazy deal; I called to buy it and it was already gone in minutes).

I haven’t bought as much for guitars, but there are some good deals out there for sure; you just need to wade through a lot of junk to find them. I check out gear hunter every once and awhile and sort it by price; sometimes I’m surprised at the high end stuff that shows up in the 1-3k range.

Last edited:

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I called to buy it and it was already gone in minutes)
I've heard the Attic sales draw lineups before the doors open.
If we ever get back to fully open here, gear demand might go up again.
Assuming some of venues return, and the people..if..

Mejis

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard the Attic sales draw lineups before the doors open.
If we ever get back to fully open here, gear demand might go up again.
Assuming some of venues return, and the people..if..
My local store told me last year corporate HQ stopped the inventory PDFs b/c they didn’t want line-ups given the COVID situation, previously people would see something in the flyer and the policy was that it had to be purchased in person up until 1pm or so (no calling in).

Part of the deal with L&M I find too is getting to know the long-term sales folks there. I’ve been dealing with the same few people for many years so every once and awhile they’ll throw me a good lead on something that’s coming in.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom