LONG awaited NPD: The Pete Cornish straight flush!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dashface, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Dashface

Dashface Member

I have been waiting a long time for this... The FedEx truck arrived this afternoon with a box from Pete Cornish, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super excited :D Here are the results, posing in their natural habitat:

[​IMG]

Yep, today I managed to get a P-1, a G-2, and an SS-3. The whole gain range, basically :) I am a very happy camper.

As some of you know, I am the guitarist in a successful Pink Floyd Tribute act. It is essentially my day job. We are serious sticklers for authenticity, which is why I had to at the very least have the P-1... But I figured while I was at it I'd get the other two as well. I was previously using an all Skreddy setup for leads (Pig Mine, Top Fuel, and Lunar Module) - which I have been very very happy with. The audiences regularly compare us favorably to the real thing, and I've always had what I figured to be 98% of the correct tone with the Skreddy pedals.... Plus, Marc is a gentleman, and I've always enjoyed talking to him. Will I replace those pedals with the Cornish stuff? Well... Maybe not. Read on!

The G-2 is the one I knew the least about going in. Gilmour has been using one on his recent tours, and I liked the sound, so I was glad to get it. Plugged into the Hiwatts it is quite an aggressive pedal, but not fizzy. Warm with a strange hollowness to the mids that I really like. Rumor has it the leads in Money at the Live8 show were the G-2, and that's pretty much exactly how it sounds to me. I can see this pedal being flexible enough to use outside of a Floydian context as well.

The SS-3 is a wonderful smooth low-gain overdrive. What I love about it (and all of these pedals share this characteristic) is that it is quite bright without being shrill. It has an incredible clarity on the high notes I've never heard before. I assumed I would use this pedal during our performances of the Wish You Were Here album - specifically on Shine On. Previously I was using a pair of Tube Drivers. However, it turns out that the SS-3 is a lot more different from the TDs than I had assumed. The Tube Drivers are very clear, a bit grainy, and let through a lot of your guitar tone, whereas the SS-3 is quite a bit more smooth. Certainly two different beasts. The SS-3 is a dead-ringer for the rhythm tone from Young Lust.

Last but not least, the real cream of the crop: The P-1. This is truly the jewel in the crown, and perhaps the most exciting pedal I've ever used. I ran my Gilmour strat into an Analogman biComp, the P-1, a non-Deluxe electric mistress, and some delay - then into the Hiwatts and the Yamaha RA200. I was blown away. I was sounding exactly like the live 1980 recordings of the Wall. I was surprised at first, but then realized that of course I was sounding that way: I was using essentially the same equipment.

My favorite thing about these pedals, and the P-1 in particular, is it has this incredible feedback... And it's a very musical feedback, really singing somehow... Basically, that wonderful tone in the background of "What Shall We Do Now"? That is what is going on here. Also, those trebly little blips that Gilmour does...Hard to describe, but we all love Gilmour so you know what I'm talking about: that almost squeal to notes that happens. This pedal is where it comes from. The P-1 has all that in spades. And stacked with the SS-3? Sorrow, all the way.

These are not plug and play pedals. They are very bright - surprisingly so - and quite raspy at first until they're dialed. If you listen to the tones from the live 1980s recordings of The Wall, or the solos on The Final Cut, you'll see what I mean. But once you have them set up, the proverbial blanket is off the amp. The sheer power and clarity behind notes is astounding, and I doubt I could ever go back.

So, do they replace the Skreddy stuff? Well, yes and no - and do I need them any more? Well, I still need the Lunar Module, but not the Top Fuel or Pig Mine, really. But do I still love them? YES, a resounding yes. You see, the Skreddy pedals are plug and play. They sound phenomenal right out of the box, no iffs ands or buts. They sound good everywhere and in pretty much every context. The Cornish stuff? Well, it is the final 2% of the Gilmour tone (of course it is - the man made his stuff, after all!), but they are deceptively difficult to play correctly; they are the telecasters of pedals, as far as I can see. Very revealing, but in the right hands... Bliss!

I shall be keeping and enjoying the Skreddy stuff for as long as I live, but I must say, for this afternoon anyway... Hats off to Mr Cornish :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

3. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Supporting Member

4. guitarua

guitarua Member

Had the same setup with a p2 instead of p1. Teh tonez await you.....

5. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Awesome, I'm jealous!

Here's a tidbit from an e-mail from Pete Cornish describing the difference between the P1 and P2:

"The P-1 is available to special order and is the same price as the P-2. The P-1 has a different tone circuit having less middle tones and more highs. The P-1 is my original Precision Fuzz which I designed in 1982 and is used on many Pink Floyd albums and tours etc. The P-2 has more mids and less highs than the P-1."

6. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I think that I just got a woody at that picture

7. tamtam10

tamtam10 Active Member

Didn't know he was makin' P-1's! Thought there was somethin' like 10 of 'em floating around! Good to know, might have to grab one! How long was the wait for it?

Congrats on the 'epic' new pedal day! Play 'em well!

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

Wait time is the same as everything else - pretty long! The P-1 is still awful rare (mine appears to be #39, as you can see), and I had to ask nice :D

9. GuitarDoc

GuitarDoc Member

Dashface,

Any upcoming shows in the works so I can hear your rig live?

10. jrocguitars

jrocguitars Member

Very cool, glad you're liking them and thanks for the review! There's nothing like waiting a long time for a piece of gear and having it actually fulfill your expectations when it finally arrives!

11. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

That's a great read.

12. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Very cool- congrats!
    Clips? :)

13. Dashface

Dashface Member

Actually we're on a bit of a break - we recently had to let our Snowy White go due to personal issues, and we haven't got a new one yet. Keep an eye on the page though - it would be cool to see you out there :D

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

Fun to read about pedals I will never have the privilege to own; thanks for sharing.